Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I made sausage rolls at the weekend.

I made sausage rolls at the weekend.

Finely minced a mixture of pork shoulder and belly, added softened onions and lots of sage, buttry puff pastry... I think I still prefer Gregg's

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Finely minced a mixture of pork shoulder and belly, added softened onions and lots of sage, buttry puff pastry... I think I still prefer Gregg's
    Yes. I've tried to fancy them up with things like mustard, parma ham, cheese and all sorts. However, the filling of a sausage roll isn't really meant to be a gourmet experience. The best ones I've had use the ridiculously pink filing from Richmond sausages.

I like a Gregg's sausage roll, although sometimes i feel like the sausage can be a bit watery. I used to buy a pack of those frozen party ones and stored them in the fridge once cooked. Loved eating them slightly chilled

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    I like a Gregg's sausage roll, although sometimes i feel like the sausage can be a bit watery. I used to buy a pack of those frozen party ones and stored them in the fridge once cooked. Loved eating them slightly chilled
    I think we can all agree though that the best thing from Greggs is the cheese and potato slice, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    Hang on, what? Everyone knows that tepid and floppy is the ideal condition for a sausage roll.

I think we can all agree though that the best thing from Greggs is the cheese and potato slice, no?
    I'm more a bacon and cheese wrap kind of guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Hang on, what? Everyone knows that tepid and floppy is the ideal condition for a sausage roll.
    Never had one. I've enjoyed the steak slice and the cheese 'n onion slice very much, though.

Yes. I've tried to fancy them up with things like mustard, parma ham, cheese and all sorts. However, the filling of a sausage roll isn't really meant to be a gourmet experience. The best ones I've had use the ridiculously pink filing from Richmond sausages.
    They don't sound like sausage rolls to me.

Essentially you are gaying them up when they are supposed to cheap, dirty even, momentarily saitsfying on the palate.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    They don't sound like sausage rolls to me.

Essentially you are gaying them up when they are supposed to cheap, dirty even, momentarily saitsfying on the palate.
    Yes, but if you make them yourself, you feel duty bound to try and do something different or interesting with them, otherwise you might as well just go to Gregg's. The fact that one's efforts never actually succeed in making anything nicer is beside the point.

Yes, but if you make them yourself, you feel duty bound to try and do something different or interesting with them, otherwise you might as well just go to Gregg's. The fact that one's efforts never actually succeed in making anything nicer is beside the point.
    Au contraire; my idea was to leave the essential simplicity of the dish but try to improve the result by using quality ingredients.

Actually I'm going to have a cold one now for elevenses.