Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So I checked out Ed Sheeran last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Yes. They're not so much a band as a cult as far as I can see. Every member of the cult has to keep repeating the mantra of their greatness for fear that otherwise reality may intrude and reveal the emperor in his birthday suit.

They have one or two decent songs that they milk shamelessly and the rest is pretty much whiny, tuneless dreck. Also, Thom Yorke has zero stage presence and a terrible voice.
    Do you think that Thom Yorke developed that soul-twisting angst during his comfortable middle class Oxfordshire upbringing? Perhaps his experiences at the same public school as my bil are responsible for his tortured Weltanschaaung?

Or perhaps he's simply a pretentious prick. Who can say?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    For all Oasis' faults, the time is approaching when we're going to remember them with regret as the last flowering of rock n roll music.
    That time came a while ago didn't it? I mean, even I am finally admitting it. A Liam and Noel reunion might have saved Glastonbury, just about. A drunk Johnny Depp and a secret gig by The Killers just doesn't cut it I'm afraid.

Do you think that Thom Yorke developed that soul-twisting angst during his comfortable middle class Oxfordshire upbringing? Perhaps his experiences at the same public school as my bil are responsible for his tortured Weltanschaaung?

Or perhaps he's simply a pretentious prick. Who can say?
    It's probably to do with him having a wonky eye. This has angsted him right up, I reckon.

I flicked between them and some chap called Dizzee Rascal, who played upbeat, bouncy numbers that had the crowd dancing. Unlike Radiohead appeared to be interested in entertaining his audience and was doing a good job. Why anyone would have chosen to watch them rather than him is beyond me.
    I was watching Kate Tempest then. Probably the best thing I saw despite having seen exactly the same performance last year. That is pretty sad.....

To be fair to Radiohead, I don't like them at the best of times so I was never going to enjoy it....

It's probably to do with him having a wonky eye. This has angsted him right up, I reckon.
    They have some ok songs but didn't seem to play any of them. This is the Springsteen '**** the fans' approach to live performance. I am not sure I approve.

I flicked between them and some chap called Dizzee Rascal, who played upbeat, bouncy numbers that had the crowd dancing. Unlike Radiohead appeared to be interested in entertaining his audience and was doing a good job. Why anyone would have chosen to watch Radiohead rather than him is beyond me.
    When Springsteen headlined it I was concerned for my hero. I thought he'd made a mistake. Given that he doesn't play festivals and that his lengthy sets often contain many obscure numbers, it seemed to me that a casual audience really wouldn't get it. Watching on TV it appeared that he smashed it out the park, as it were. It looked and sounded magnificent. The Guardian gave him 5 stars and the review started 'Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band put on a show so good it's quasi-religious – for nigh on three hours, Pilton becomes the Promised Land' A week later I encountered Ian Harvey who had been at Glastonbury and asked for his verdict. 'Embarrassing', he opined. 'People were streaming away to go and watch something else. He can't hold an audience like Radiohead.' The lying ****.

It is, as you say, a cult.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    They have some ok songs but didn't seem to play any of them. This is the Springsteen '**** the fans' approach to live performance. I am not sure I approve.
    Have you received a blow to the head, p?

Radiohead, though. Dreary, shoegazing shïte that only the dangerously pretentious could possibly imagine to be anything but self-important drivel.
    Ian Harvey was on Facebook saying it was one of the best live sets ever.

Perfect.

Have you received a blow to the head, p?
    If you were in charge of set lists for a world tour of 100 dates, do you think Racing in the Street would appear more than 3 or 4 times?

A man can only tolerate Spirit in the Night so many times.

I am not sure if she is still around but when I listened to the radio anything Jo Whiley used to harp on about I hated it.