Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WineWIMB - I have started chilling red wine. Is it wrong?

WineWIMB - I have started chilling red wine. Is it wrong?

Makes the appalling grog I can afford taste half decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbette Chapman - aged 15 View Post
    Sounds like the sort of thing WES would do, so as long as you don't mind being mistaken for an ignorant ape of a Canadian, who desperately wants to sound sophisticated when talking about food and drink, but ends up like a gourmet version of Monty's clueless football fan, you'll be fine

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Sounds like the sort of thing WES would do, so as long as you don't mind being mistaken for an ignorant ape of a Canadian, who desperately wants to sound sophisticated when talking about food and drink, but ends up like a gourmet version of Monty's clueless football fan, you'll be fine
    Why don't you say what you really think rather than skirting round the edges
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    i'm not "clueless" about football. I'm simply no way near as informed or insightful as I think I am

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    i'm not "clueless" about football. I'm simply no way near as informed or insightful as I think I am
    Fair point. Who among us is? Maybe Modd

Don't think the old maple syrup fiend is around so your goading is wasted LA. I don't suppose you even notice the temperature of wine wazzing down your scrawny neck in one straight from the bottle?

I gather that you mean in your wine cooler? If so, there is no issue with that at all. In fact, there is a common misconception about the temperature that a bottle of red should be enjoyed at. The school of thought that it should be at 'room temperature' stems from a time when the average temperature of a building was far cooler than it is today; in part due to poor insulation and also the lack of heating.

Anyway, you should really ensure that your cooler is reading somewhere between 12 and 18 degrees celcius. Top end of the scale for a powerful and full bodied wine like new world reds. Then the lighter on the pallette the wine in question is, the closer to 12c you should chill it to.

Hope this helps.

When I was in Dijon on a scorchio day long ago a cafe-bar was serving chilled red wine. So of the French do it, it must be allowed under some circumstances.

Don't think the old maple syrup fiend is around so your goading is wasted LA. I don't suppose you even notice the temperature of wine wazzing down your scrawny neck in one straight from the bottle?
    How dare you - like most civilized people I would not drink from a bottle. I use a straw

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I gather that you mean in your wine cooler? If so, there is no issue with that at all. In fact, there is a common misconception about the temperature that a bottle of red should be enjoyed at. The school of thought that it should be at 'room temperature' stems from a time when the average temperature of a building was far cooler than it is today; in part due to poor insulation and also the lack of heating.

Anyway, you should really ensure that your cooler is reading somewhere between 12 and 18 degrees celcius. Top end of the scale for a powerful and full bodied wine like new world reds. Then the lighter on the pallette the wine in question is, the closer to 12c you should chill it to.

Hope this helps.
    A useful and informative post.

Who are you and what have you done with Richard?