Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Labour's attempts to differentiate their position on Brexit and specifically

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    This is a interesting point imo. Over 80% of the turnout voted for party manifestos committed to a full Brexit, but the PLP, like all the main parties' MPs, are overwhelmingly pro-EU. With the labour vote comprising both anti-EU and pro-EU components they are something of a coalition within themselves.

Another thing that doesn't get much mention is that many of the influential voices who spent the referendum campaign telling people that they must not vote leave were also spending the last couple of years insisting that JC should not be leader of the Labour Party. Yet in both cases voters in large numbers have defied them.
    How will you feel about your Labour vote if Billy Bragg turns out to be right on this?

https://twitter.com/billybragg/statu...15913079296001

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    To be fair to Berni, literally the entire country was of pretty much the same view. Even the pollsters who had Lab and Con neck and neck on election day were highly dubious about their own stats.

Saying that, I started worrying months and months ago when Corbyn started talking about harnessing social media. So as with football, it turns out I am Awimb's true political sage.
    I thought the true litmus was your sister ( does she have a spectacularly hairy growler btw)?

How will you feel about your Labour vote if Billy Bragg turns out to be right on this?

https://twitter.com/billybragg/statu...15913079296001
    New US Oct dates tickets on sale Friday 14 April 10am local time?

New US Oct dates tickets on sale Friday 14 April 10am local time?
    Soz, link now fixed

Soz, link now fixed
    I don't believe Billy Bragg is right in his support for an institution that despises the working class, in his preference of undemocratic supra-nationalism over sovereign accountability, and his calls for Corbyn to immediately reverse his Brexit position.

If the latter does happen then it won't be the first time I've been let down by a politician and it won't be the last.

This is a interesting point imo. Over 80% of the turnout voted for party manifestos committed to a full Brexit, but the PLP, like all the main parties' MPs, are overwhelmingly pro-EU. With the labour vote comprising both anti-EU and pro-EU components they are something of a coalition within themselves.

Another thing that doesn't get much mention is that many of the influential voices who spent the referendum campaign telling people that they must not vote leave were also spending the last couple of years insisting that JC should not be leader of the Labour Party. Yet in both cases voters in large numbers have defied them.
    Well it seems abundantly clear that lots and lots of Remain types voted Labour whilst either wilfully ignoring or simply being wholly ignorant of the party's clearly expressed stance on the EU. Young people in particular seem almost immune to the information that their beloved cuddly old uncle Jeremy has been avowedly anti-EU his entire political life. It just does not seem to compute.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Well it seems abundantly clear that lots and lots of Remain types voted Labour whilst either wilfully ignoring or simply being wholly ignorant of the party's clearly expressed stance on the EU. Young people in particular seem almost immune to the information that their beloved cuddly old uncle Jeremy has been avowedly anti-EU his entire political life. It just does not seem to compute.
    Unless of course yer man Billy Bragg is correct in that Labour are simply playing the long game and keeping their noses dry until such a time as either the Tories themselves fudge/abandon Brexit or Labour win the next GE at which point they revert to a pro-EU position.

Unless of course yer man Billy Bragg is correct in that Labour are simply playing the long game and keeping their noses dry until such a time as either the Tories themselves fudge/abandon Brexit or Labour win the next GE at which point they revert to a pro-EU position.
    I don't think abandoning or reversing Brexit is a realistic option anymore. Even 'softening' it is going to prove very, very tricky. And even if that did happen, what then? You'd still have half the country utterly seething with resentment at being cheated in this way and, as May is currently finding out, such a divided country is fùcking hard to govern. Long term, the only possible resolution is in Brexit taking place in whatever form and everyone getting used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I don't think abandoning or reversing Brexit is a realistic option anymore. Even 'softening' it is going to prove very, very tricky. And even if that did happen, what then? You'd still have half the country utterly seething with resentment at being cheated in this way and, as May is currently finding out, such a divided country is fùcking hard to govern. Long term, the only possible resolution is in Brexit taking place in whatever form and everyone getting used to it.
    I'm dubious about whether half the country would be utterly seething with resentment. Certainly there would be many voters and, crucially, many Tory MPs, who would feel this way. But I suspect an equal number would be rather indifferent, for a number of reasons, but mainly because - as we both acknowledge - Brexit was a protest vote as much as anything, driven by a desire to give the establishment a bloody nose rather than a desire for the tangible outcome and its consequences (unknown as many of them may be).

I'm dubious about whether half the country would be utterly seething with resentment. Certainly there would be many voters and, crucially, many Tory MPs, who would feel this way. But I suspect an equal number would be rather indifferent, for a number of reasons, but mainly because - as we both acknowledge - Brexit was a protest vote as much as anything, driven by a desire to give the establishment a bloody nose rather than a desire for the tangible outcome and its consequences (unknown as many of them may be).
    Something can be two things at once. It was a protest vote in one sense, but it also was the expression of a long-held and deeply felt dislike of the EU that has existed in this country for decades. At its most basic level, that may simply be expressed as a profound dislike of being governed by foreigners, but it's still there. For many, that hatred has only become greater over the last year and will get worse during negotiations. So the idea that anti-EU sentiment will somehow dissipate over the coming years seems naive to me.