Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So, Budapest. Stunning women and (my glw informs me), equally good-looking men,

So, Budapest. Stunning women and (my glw informs me), equally good-looking men,

fine wines and some edible food. Buda's Castle district is stunningly beautiful, while Pest is now a vibrant, bustling modern European city, with cafe culture, roller blading arseholes and even a troop of Hare Krishnas who jangled through there every lunchtime.

The contrast between the place now and the first time I visited it in 1992 simply couldn't be more stark. What capitalism hath wrought there is pretty damn marvellous.

With that in mind, I would strongly recommend a visit to the House of Terror, which is the old secret police HQ and one of the best museums I've ever been to. Takes you on a tour from the top of the building right down to the basement, where all the cells are, complete with padded walls to prevent suicide, a nice little punishment cell so small no-one could move in it, a gallows room and drains in the middle for sluicing the blood, piss and vomit away.

It's bloody grim (wife was in tears at the end), but would serve as an object lesson for every tosser who thinks waving communist banners about is a clever idea. I came out of there both massively impressed by the museum and utterly, utterly furious.
    Last edited by Burney; 06-21-2017 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    fine wines and some edible food. Buda's Castle district is stunning beautiful, while Pest is now a vibrant, bustling modern European city, with cafe culture, roller blading arseholes and even a troop of Hare Krishnas who jangled through there every lunchtime.

The contrast between the place now and the first time I visited it in 1992 simply couldn't be more stark. What capitalism hath wrought there is pretty damn marvellous.

With that in mind, I would strongly recommend a visit to the House of Terror, which is the old secret police HQ and one of the best museums I've ever been to. Takes you on a tour from the top of the building right down to the basement, where all the cells are, complete with padded walls to prevent suicide, a nice little punishment cell so small no-one could move in it, a gallows room and drains in the middle for sluicing the blood, piss and vomit away.

It's bloody grim (wife was in tears at the end), but would serve as an object lesson for every tosser who thinks waving communist banners about is a clever idea. I came out of there both massively impressed by the museum and utterly, utterly furious.
    You didn't see any men?

What of the sausage. It is news of the sausage I seek.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    You didn't see any men?

What of the sausage. It is news of the sausage I seek.
    No. I did. Merely that I chose not to venture an opinion for fear of being called one of the gays.

There were many types*, but the garlicky, paprika-ey ones oozing red grease seemed most popular. Very like a cooking chorizo, but rather nicer.

EDIT: *Of sausage, not men.
    Last edited by Burney; 06-21-2017 at 01:37 PM.

fine wines and some edible food. Buda's Castle district is stunningly beautiful, while Pest is now a vibrant, bustling modern European city, with cafe culture, roller blading arseholes and even a troop of Hare Krishnas who jangled through there every lunchtime.

Went 2 months ago, one of the best city breaks I have ever had
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    Went 2 months ago, one of the best city breaks I have ever had
    Yes. Also, it's Europe's second largest producer of foie gras, so there's loads of animal cruelty-enriched treats to be had. I had a trio of foie gras for my birthday up in the Castle district that was absolutely splendid.

No. I did. Merely that I chose not to venture an opinion for fear of being called one of the gays.

There were many types, but the garlicky, paprika-ey ones oozing red grease seemed most popular. Very like a cooking chorizo, but rather nicer.
    I think that's the type I had at the station that day in 1983.

I believe that sausage saved my life.

They're still savages, I suspect. Closet commies or Nazis or somesuch.

Did they feed you goulash with Czech-style dumplings?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I think that's the type I had at the station that day in 1983.

I believe that sausage saved my life.

They're still savages, I suspect. Closet commies or Nazis or somesuch.

Did they feed you goulash with Czech-style dumplings?
    I think they're pretty right-wing these days. Old Viktor Orban keeps telling the EU to fùck right off rather than accept refugees. Also, they have political posters where George Soros is pulling the strings of his puppets Merkel, Macron, etc.

As to goulash, they would have, had I been mad enough to order such a thing in 30 degree heat. On the first night, I had a duck breast with wild mushrooms on a sort of bubble and squeak thing that was very nice. That was about the richest thing I had there. Oh, and I had a giant Wiener Schnitzel at one point, obvs.

Your bourgeois sensibilities are showing, old sport

Edit: What the **** is this new smiley face on about

Yes. Also, it's Europe's second largest producer of foie gras, so there's loads of animal cruelty-enriched treats to be had. I had a trio of foie gras for my birthday up in the Castle district that was absolutely splendid.
    We stayed in a lovely little Hotel up there Baltazar i think it was called, 250 yds to the Castle but no tourists by the hotel
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Yeah..... enough about politics. How was the beer?