Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: wd The Govt and the property developers that have just made 68 flats available in

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    And each resident being given £5,500.

Does this mean we can all cancel our buildings and contents insurance? I assume this is now the norm?
    They're GIVING everyone in the block £5,500?! For what bloody reason???

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    As far as I'm aware these are the new permanent homes for them
    That's how i read it. Basically homes owned by the council that they are now tenants of. Obviously they could move out at some point of their own free will but not likely when you've got a gym and pool in the block

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Yes, I was. And now I'm going to be paying for a bunch of even more expensive ones. This seems a bit unfair on me, tbh. I didn't set the bloody place on fire. I've never even been there.
    How do you think the people who bought flats in the new luxury development are going to feel? They shelled out a fortune for a home cinema and 24 hour concierge to keep the riff raff out and now the government are handing out free flats to them.

I wouldn't be happy......

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    To shut them up....

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    How do you think the people who bought flats in the new luxury development are going to feel? They shelled out a fortune for a home cinema and 24 hour concierge to keep the riff raff out and now the government are handing out free flats to them.

Have to say that was my immediate thought. Also if they choose to sell and move somewhere else they'll probably end up losing money. Let's face it, nobody paying £3m for an apartment is going to do it in a block full of council tenants.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Money is generally quite an effective tool to ensure disgruntled and exploited peoples are lulled into passivity. They'll buy an iPhone each and all will be forgotten and the money will return to those that they properly belong to.

Its five grand you tight ****. The insurance wont pay out for months.

It's five grand - plus the cost to government of buying all these other flats in one of London's most expensive boroughs, of course.

I think some compromise could have been reached, tbh. Those households with gainful employment in the area could have been temporarily rehoused there until payouts start happening, but those without could have been shipped off somewhere cheaper.

And obviously those here illegally should have been deported once they'd recovered. The idea that being in a fire means you get to dodge the system is ridiculous.

To shut them up....
    Perhaps the charity fund can be used to reimburse the taxpayer, then. Sounds like they're going to do rather well out of this.

That is a fücking good point, p. I'd be tempted to just set fire to the place and see what the government's prepared to hand over next time.

********FREE MONEY*********

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I'm sure this is all very splendid and whatnot, but I'm struggling to see how me having to pay for it is a good plan, to be honest.

Surely these people will all end up being due a simply enormous payout from the landlords or whoever else is eventually deemed blameworthy? Why is the taxpayer having to bear the burden?
    I predict a spate of arson attacks on council blocks this summer.

Actually, fúck it, I'll burn my own house down and then wait for the council to give me £5,500 and a cheap flat in a luxury block. That's how it works, right?