Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goodness me, I can just imagine some of the teeth clenching and hysterical rage

Goodness me, I can just imagine some of the teeth clenching and hysterical rage

that will come out of the Leave voters as reality slowly but surely sets in.

Speaking alongside the governor, Philip Hammond said that no-one voted for Brexit to become poorer.

He also made it clear that he wants to put the economy at the heart of the Brexit negotiations.

Rather than sovereignty or controlling immigration, which are the issues likely to motivate other colleagues in the Cabinet and certainly in the Conservative Party.

The tensions are clear.

The chancellor - strengthened since the general election - gave the greatest detail yet about what his approach might mean for our future relationship with the EU.

Yes, as he said at the weekend, the UK will be leaving the customs union.

But he made the case for a new form of customs agreement with "current border arrangements" - which presumably means agreeing to some form of EU oversight for some years following Britain's exit from the union.

It is nailing down this "transition" or "implementation" period which is important for many businesses.

Some will be relieved that both Mr Carney and Mr Hammond are calling for Britain to play a longer game when it comes to the Brexit process.

Others may fear that tying the UK formally to the EU after Britain leaves the union in March 2019 could mean, for a few years of transition at least, Brexit does not, quite, mean Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    that will come out of the Leave voters as reality slowly but surely sets in.

Speaking alongside the governor, Philip Hammond said that no-one voted for Brexit to become poorer.

He also made it clear that he wants to put the economy at the heart of the Brexit negotiations.

Rather than sovereignty or controlling immigration, which are the issues likely to motivate other colleagues in the Cabinet and certainly in the Conservative Party.

The tensions are clear.

The chancellor - strengthened since the general election - gave the greatest detail yet about what his approach might mean for our future relationship with the EU.

Yes, as he said at the weekend, the UK will be leaving the customs union.

But he made the case for a new form of customs agreement with "current border arrangements" - which presumably means agreeing to some form of EU oversight for some years following Britain's exit from the union.

It is nailing down this "transition" or "implementation" period which is important for many businesses.

Some will be relieved that both Mr Carney and Mr Hammond are calling for Britain to play a longer game when it comes to the Brexit process.

Others may fear that tying the UK formally to the EU after Britain leaves the union in March 2019 could mean, for a few years of transition at least, Brexit does not, quite, mean Brexit.
    There was never much doubt that the whole thing would be fudged and subjected to the smoke and mirror treatment until it all sort of just goes away, was there?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    There was never much doubt that the whole thing would be fudged and subjected to the smoke and mirror treatment until it all sort of just goes away, was there?
    Nope.

There was never any chance of hard Brexit really because the people that will be responsible for negotiating it know how badly things could go economically in the short term and, regardless of how many people voted for Brexit, that they would then be held accountable.

All of which sort of points back to the folly that was the referendum in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Nope.

There was never any chance of hard Brexit really because the people that will be responsible for negotiating it know how badly things could go economically in the short term and, regardless of how many people voted for Brexit, that they would then be held accountable.

All of which sort of points back to the folly that was the referendum in the first place.
    It was reported here that the topic that took up most time on day 1 of your formal negotiations was indeed Ireland and the thorny issue of borders etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    It was reported here that the topic that took up most time on day 1 of your formal negotiations was indeed Ireland and the thorny issue of borders etc.
    I was reading the othe r day how much it costs us to keep the northern bit fed. It's fúcking mental.

I reckon you should have it back. Have you considered invading?

We could get Donald to practice his fence making skills . . .
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

The answer is clearly to move the border to half-way across the Irish Sea. I'm sure your fine, modern country will find a creative and just way to deal with 760,000 angry prods. Perhaps they could go back to Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    The answer is clearly to move the border to half-way across the Irish Sea. I'm sure your fine, modern country will find a creative and just way to deal with 760,000 angry prods. Perhaps they could go back to Scotland.
    Just sending Celtic there on the 12th July could solve* a lot of problems

*cause

I was reading the othe r day how much it costs us to keep the northern bit fed. It's fúcking mental.

I will be up the weekend after next once the football season has ended, I will see what I can do.

You speak as though it's our fault you took over Ireland but only gave part of it back. We just live here.