Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So, one day after that tragic fire and the media are obssessed in pushing that death

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    Wasn't part of the reason they put cladding on was to improve the look of the place
    That's the trend with most of these old council tower blocks. The residents probably welcomed it at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    That's the trend with most of these old council tower blocks. The residents probably welcomed it at the time.
    Of course, the truth about those old tower blocks is that they're simply outdated and too expensive to maintain properly and ought to be pulled down. However, with nowhere to put the residents...

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Of course, the truth about those old tower blocks is that they're simply outdated and too expensive to maintain properly and ought to be pulled down. However, with nowhere to put the residents...
    In some places they pull them down and team up with a developer to build brand new apartment blocks. Half of the flate go to council tenants and the other half are put up for sale. What happened the other day is truly awful but the whole line about council tenants or "the poor" being treated like **** and hard done by is *******s.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    The residents mainly seem to be foreign so get rid of em

That's what Brexit, terrorism and election have done they've made me racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    The residents mainly seem to be foreign so get rid of em

That's what Brexit, terrorism and election have done they've made me racist.
    A bit of 'social cleansing' was it, f?

Absolute tradegy in any case.

I seem to remember The Address going up in similar fashion near the Burj Khalifa in Dubai.
    Cladding was blamed then iirc (for being ****ing flammable).

I think they also concluded it acts as a conduit for the flames to lick up the building.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    I lived near that place when I first move to London and trust me, it is very, very, very nasty there. Not a place to go out at night alone.

I'm guessing they're going to find that place was a tinder box and people were being fleeced by a dodgy landlord.
    Landlord is the local authority, and as everyone has been saying, it looks like the cladding may have been the conduit for the fire to spread. All the towers by Archway tube station near me have just been clad to look better. It's happening everywhere. If they've been using flammable cladding in these places then that is madness. Not without reason was London constructed of brick and stone after 1666, and more recently concrete and glass.

I dunno how long ago that was when you were there WES, but if it was 20 years or so then it will have changed. I've walked past that block twice in the last couple of years and like so much of London now, it is mixed. Grim but slightly improving council estates nestled alongside streets of million or multi-million-pound houses. Ladbroke Grove, Notting Hill and Holland Park are only minutes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    It makes good TV (in their eyes).

SKY reporter saying to a boy that at least he wouldn't have to go to school today
    In fairness, that would've certainly been my thinking, as a schoolboy.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

I have seen 2-bedroom flats in the block advertised for £1,600 a month. Not sure how many poor people can afford that.

On the "sustainability" comment, what on earth makes these cretins think that sustainable materials are inflammable?

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Britain less Europe View Post
    I have seen 2-bedroom flats in the block advertised for £1,600 a month. Not sure how many poor people can afford that.

On the "sustainability" comment, what on earth makes these cretins think that sustainable materials are inflammable?
    Because it's clearly a mixture of council flats and people who bought their council flats and are selling/renting them.

London is getting absolutely ridiculous with this renting stuff.
    I think that if you are buying to let you should be discouraged by being taxed more imo. Then again this won't work as they'll just put the rent up a bit more too.

can't win.

Yes. One way of easing London rents would be to get all government offices out of London, maybe even move Parliament and the Queen up north.