Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Damn those pesky kids - if they hadn't been scurrilously encouraged to

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    No point in my constituency.
    Sorry, not having that. Everyone should vote and should vote based on which party represents their views most consistently. The whole thing is pointless otherwise.

And it allows you to then have a proper moan afterwards.

No point in my constituency.

Precisely. Not only was the election NOT about that, but the result doesn't even translate in the same way. I could have voted Lib Dem as a remainer and it would have had no effect on the make up of parliament whatsoever. This is why you hold a referendum on a big single issue. At an election, voters get to decide what they care about.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Sorry, not having that. Everyone should vote and should vote based on which party represents their views most consistently. The whole thing is pointless otherwise.

The point is that it doesn't lead to a parliament that reflects the national vote and is therefore hopelessly unreliable as an outcome based around a single issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    The point is that it doesn't lead to a parliament that reflects the national vote and is therefore hopelessly unreliable as an outcome based around a single issue.
    Yeah but the point is that any voter should take all issues into account and vote accordingly, saying 'but it won't make any difference in my constituency' is contrary to the democratic process and leaves you in a position where you have no right to complain.

If I voted Leave but then looked at all the issues and decided to vote Labour, I have no right to complain when the minority government is forced to water down Brexit. If it meant that much to me, I should have voted Tory. If it didn't, I have no right to complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Peter, what would be the situation with free tuition fees (it's ok, Sir C isn't around so we can use the word 'free') if we are in the EU. Would all EU citizens be entitled to free tuition in UK universities? Presumably this isn't what Mr Corbyn intended.

Yeah but the point is that any voter should take all issues into account and vote accordingly, saying 'but it won't make any difference in my constituency' is contrary to the democratic process and leaves you in a position where you have no right to complain.

If I voted Leave but then looked at all the issues and decided to vote Labour, I have no right to complain when the minority government is forced to water down Brexit. If it meant that much to me, I should have voted Tory. If it didn't, I have no right to complain.
    The 'right' to complain.

This is a new, and pointless political concept imo.

The problem is that an election wasn't just for what sort of Brexit you want, it was for all the other things that effects your life... so to say those that wanted a hard Brexit should vote Tory doesn't cover it, you might be opposed to every other policy they have
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Exactly- all issues. Which is why a GENERAL election cannot be used as a reliable single issue poll.

Peter, what would be the situation with free tuition fees (it's ok, Sir C isn't around so we can use the word 'free') if we are in the EU. Would all EU citizens be entitled to free tuition in UK universities? Presumably this isn't what Mr Corbyn intended.
    No, they wouldn't. Free tuition would revert to the old system of capped numbers and would hugely reduce the number of places available. EU students (apart from Ireland) would apply as EU citizens but would not gain free tuition. They would likely face the full cost tuition in the same way that international students do, but without the visa restriction. They would also be excluded from the capped numbers- which is why when you walk around Oxford, Cambridge or UCL you will hear a million and one American accents- its far easier for them to get into the best institutions than it is for a home student.

Yet billions in taxpayers’ money goes to supporting these institutions in the form of research funding (research-intensive university is politician speak for the universities that they went to).

Obviously we still allow home students to go to the crap universities 

Nonsense. What if your chief desire is to deliver a rebuke to the PM or the party in power? In those circumstances, it's perfectly legitimate to choose the candidate most likely to give that PM or party a bloody nose - regardless of whether you agree with all their policies or not.
    Democracy is a means of representing yourself and trying to make manifest your wishes. It's not an opinion poll.