Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Damn those pesky kids - if they hadn't been scurrilously encouraged to

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I believe it was the EU that demanded that the Irish keep voting until they delivered the required result. And the EU have ignored referendums in France, Netherlands and Greece because they didn't like the outcome. This contempt for democracy is one of the reasons that some of us voted Leave in the first place. That the British, pro-EU elite are behaving in the same way comes as no surprise.
    If you wanted a hard Brexit you should have voted Tory.

It wouldn't have guaranteed it, but it would have been far more likely than it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    If you wanted a hard Brexit you should have voted Tory.

It wouldn't have guaranteed it, but it would have been far more likely than it is now.
    No point in my constituency.

No point in my constituency.
    Sorry, not having that. Everyone should vote and should vote based on which party represents their views most consistently. The whole thing is pointless otherwise.

And it allows you to then have a proper moan afterwards.

Sorry, not having that. Everyone should vote and should vote based on which party represents their views most consistently. The whole thing is pointless otherwise.

And it allows you to then have a proper moan afterwards.
    The point is that it doesn't lead to a parliament that reflects the national vote and is therefore hopelessly unreliable as an outcome based around a single issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    The point is that it doesn't lead to a parliament that reflects the national vote and is therefore hopelessly unreliable as an outcome based around a single issue.
    Yeah but the point is that any voter should take all issues into account and vote accordingly, saying 'but it won't make any difference in my constituency' is contrary to the democratic process and leaves you in a position where you have no right to complain.

If I voted Leave but then looked at all the issues and decided to vote Labour, I have no right to complain when the minority government is forced to water down Brexit. If it meant that much to me, I should have voted Tory. If it didn't, I have no right to complain.

Yeah but the point is that any voter should take all issues into account and vote accordingly, saying 'but it won't make any difference in my constituency' is contrary to the democratic process and leaves you in a position where you have no right to complain.

If I voted Leave but then looked at all the issues and decided to vote Labour, I have no right to complain when the minority government is forced to water down Brexit. If it meant that much to me, I should have voted Tory. If it didn't, I have no right to complain.
    The 'right' to complain.

This is a new, and pointless political concept imo.

The 'right' to complain.

This is a new, and pointless political concept imo.
    It isn't new, pointless or political, it's just very simple. If you vote in a manner which is inconsistent with an outcome, complaining about that outcome on message boards or in pubs leads you open to the counter point that 'you should have voted differently then, you have no one to blame but yourself'.

Not that AWIMB would ever engage in such behavior, of course.

The problem is that an election wasn't just for what sort of Brexit you want, it was for all the other things that effects your life... so to say those that wanted a hard Brexit should vote Tory doesn't cover it, you might be opposed to every other policy they have
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Exactly- all issues. Which is why a GENERAL election cannot be used as a reliable single issue poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Peter, what would be the situation with free tuition fees (it's ok, Sir C isn't around so we can use the word 'free') if we are in the EU. Would all EU citizens be entitled to free tuition in UK universities? Presumably this isn't what Mr Corbyn intended.