Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Overall, that really isn't too bad of a result

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    That was the whole point of her wanting a strong majority - so that she was no longer in thrall to the right of her party. This result means they still have her by the throat.
    Possibly, but they also portrayed it as allowing her to walk away if she needed to and go hard Brexit.

We'll never know what really was going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Possibly, but they also portrayed it as allowing her to walk away if she needed to and go hard Brexit.

We'll never know what really was going to happen.
    There's no 'possibly' about it. Anyone thinking this result means a softer Brexit is kidding themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    All last night's result means is a much, much messier Brexit. It's going to be pretty much impossible to reach a deal of any sort with this sort of domestic instability.
    Yep - can't argue with that

No, I'm saying that soft Brexit might well mean we maintain many of the rights we have while being in the EU (but not all of them) but also have many of the responsibilities that we thought we would no longer have by leaving. As an example, we might reach an agreement whereby we keep the financial passport and have a more restricted access to the common market but in exchange we pay additional money to the EU and allow freer movement to the UK for EU countries than for non-EU countries.

I would imagine there are also sorts of permutations and combinations that would keep everyone happy.
    Doesn't sound like much of a deal to me, tbh. So you wideboy finance Johnnies get to keep your noses in the trough while the rest of us pay additional money to have a more restricted access to the market and still closed borders wrt movement from the rest of the world?

Bof.

Of course, I may have misunderstood.
    Last edited by Ash; 06-09-2017 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Doesn't sound like much of a deal to me, tbh. So you wideboy finance Johnnies get to keep your noses in the trough while the rest of us pay additional money to have a more restricted access to the market and still closed borders wrt movement from the rest of the world?

Bof.

Of course, I may have misunderstood.
    Er, that was just an example, if it makes you feel better I'm happy to propose that we give up the financial passport in return for unrestricted access to the common market?

BTW, banks being free to operate unrestricted by national borders is actually a pretty good thing. In fact, I think you'll find that banks are a pretty good thing (note the massive understatement) unless you have the mentality of Jorge.

In fact, I think you'll find that banks are a pretty good thing (note the massive understatement) unless you have the mentality of Jorge.
    On the whole, of course. Though it rather depends what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    If we are allowed to leave the EU, but stay in the single market, that would make leaving the EU attractive to other countries
    Dear God, Monty. Of course you can. Look at Norway. Switzerland does for most of its industries.

No, I'm saying that soft Brexit might well mean we maintain many of the rights we have while being in the EU (but not all of them) but also have many of the responsibilities that we thought we would no longer have by leaving. As an example, we might reach an agreement whereby we keep the financial passport and have a more restricted access to the common market but in exchange we pay additional money to the EU and allow freer movement to the UK for EU countries than for non-EU countries.

I would imagine there are also sorts of permutations and combinations that would keep everyone happy.
    Times saying today that we'll have to pay £5bn pa anyway. Half our net contribution. Brexit shows most people shouldn't be allowed to vote on things of importance. They should stick to the X-factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Dear God, Monty. Of course you can. Look at Norway. Switzerland does for most of its industries.
    Important distinction: Neither Norway nor Switzerland left the EU. They were just never a part of it. Also, the price Norway pays for access to the single market is free movement and that is simply a red line no UK government will be allowed to cross.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Times saying today that we'll have to pay £5bn pa anyway. Half our net contribution. Brexit shows most people shouldn't be allowed to vote on things of importance. They should stick to the X-factor.
    Please **** off.