Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Overall, that really isn't too bad of a result

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    I think you're confused about what a soft Brexit is, Monty old bean.

It means that very little changes, so little that you could argue (and the EU would) that the whole thing was pointless. If we end up more or less in the same position as we are now, why would anyone go through the bother of leaving given the hassle and cost associated with it?
    If we are allowed to leave the EU, but stay in the single market, that would make leaving the EU attractive to other countries
    Last edited by Monty92; 06-09-2017 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    Who would you have as next leader? Boris? Davis?
    Has to be a Brexiteer, I think. Davis is screwed because he pushed for the election. So maybe Biris - although after last night I'm officially retiring from the predictions game.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Has to be a Brexiteer, I think. Davis is screwed because he pushed for the election. So maybe Biris - although after last night I'm officially retiring from the predictions game.
    Huzzah....
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

I think you're confused about what a soft Brexit is, Monty old bean.

It means that very little changes, so little that you could argue (and the EU would) that the whole thing was pointless. If we end up more or less in the same position as we are now, why would anyone go through the bother of leaving given the hassle and cost associated with it?
    So you are saying the EU would allow us to have more or less the same rights as being in the EU without actually being in the EU? Something which Merkel and high-ranking EU officials have categorically ruled out?

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    So you are saying the EU would allow us to have more or less the same rights as being in the EU without actually being in the EU? Something which Merkel and high-ranking EU officials have categorically ruled out?
    No, I'm saying that soft Brexit might well mean we maintain many of the rights we have while being in the EU (but not all of them) but also have many of the responsibilities that we thought we would no longer have by leaving. As an example, we might reach an agreement whereby we keep the financial passport and have a more restricted access to the common market but in exchange we pay additional money to the EU and allow freer movement to the UK for EU countries than for non-EU countries.

I would imagine there are also sorts of permutations and combinations that would keep everyone happy.

No, I'm saying that soft Brexit might well mean we maintain many of the rights we have while being in the EU (but not all of them) but also have many of the responsibilities that we thought we would no longer have by leaving. As an example, we might reach an agreement whereby we keep the financial passport and have a more restricted access to the common market but in exchange we pay additional money to the EU and allow freer movement to the UK for EU countries than for non-EU countries.

I would imagine there are also sorts of permutations and combinations that would keep everyone happy.
    The EU will only be happy if its flag continues to fly over UK and its misrule continues and deepens

Fair enough, twas the money thing that I was really looking at. Thank you for clarifying. I am not so sure this result means a "softer" brexit is more likely - though I hope so. Depends on who is negotiating it - whoever it is will be in thrall to an anti-Eu DUP and a very strong right wing of the party (bearing in mind that the conservative vote held up so well is largely due to returning Ukippers). Like most things nowadays - very hard to predict

Fair enough, twas the money thing that I was really looking at. Thank you for clarifying. I am not so sure this result means a "softer" brexit is more likely - though I hope so. Depends on who is negotiating it - whoever it is will be in thrall to an anti-Eu DUP and a very strong right wing of the party (bearing in mind that the conservative vote held up so well is largely due to returning Ukippers). Like most things nowadays - very hard to predict
    All last night's result means is a much, much messier Brexit. It's going to be pretty much impossible to reach a deal of any sort with this sort of domestic instability.

Yes, it is very hard to predict however I'm making the assumption that without a majority and given the nature of the way this election went, whoever negotiates Brexit will be much less likely to accept the 'no deal is better than a bad deal' approach and will be more open to negotiation and compromise.

Having said that, the Times mentioned this morning that May was rumoured to have told Brussels that she was willing to compromise once she had a strong majority.

Yes, it is very hard to predict however I'm making the assumption that without a majority and given the nature of the way this election went, whoever negotiates Brexit will be much less likely to accept the 'no deal is better than a bad deal' approach and will be more open to negotiation and compromise.

Having said that, the Times mentioned this morning that May was rumoured to have told Brussels that she was willing to compromise once she had a strong majority.
    That was the whole point of her wanting a strong majority - so that she was no longer in thrall to the right of her party. This result means they still have her by the throat.