Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Overall, that really isn't too bad of a result

Overall, that really isn't too bad of a result

The only nuclear possibility was that A level failing, terrorist supporting, anti-Semitic cretin Corbyn being elected PM and, despite an appalling campaign from the Tories and a poor leader, he still didn't come close.

Additionally, it is distinctly possible, although not certain, that May will have to negotiate a softer Brexit which will be good for the country.

This shift in British politics to the left strikes me as nonsense. There are many reasons for last night's result but I can't see a desire for a return to tax/spend and the nationalization of the industry and services to be amongst them. This result was about Remain getting their own back and the Tories running an incompetent campaign, I think.

And we get Corbyn as the Labour leader for the forseeable future. Who knows, they may be stupid enough to go even farther left.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    The only nuclear possibility was that A level failing, terrorist supporting, anti-Semitic cretin Corbyn being elected PM and, despite an appalling campaign from the Tories and a poor leader, he still didn't come close.

Additionally, it is distinctly possible, although not certain, that May will have to negotiate a softer Brexit which will be good for the country.

This shift in British politics to the left strikes me as nonsense. There are many reasons for last night's result but I can't see a desire for a return to tax/spend and the nationalization of the industry and services to be amongst them. This result was about Remain getting their own back and the Tories running an incompetent campaign, I think.

And we get Corbyn as the Labour leader for the forseeable future. Who knows, they may be stupid enough to go even farther left.
    The EU will not allow a soft Brexit as that would encourage other countries to go the same route.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    The EU will not allow a soft Brexit as that would encourage other countries to go the same route.
    Eh? A soft Brexit means that the Brexit terms are not markedly different from what we have now. That would be the EU's choice, and much of Great Britain's as well.

As someone pointed out, May has found out the same thing Clinton did: the other guy being unelectable isn't enough for you to win.

Eh? A soft Brexit means that the Brexit terms are not markedly different from what we have now. That would be the EU's choice, and much of Great Britain's as well.
    But it would encourage other countries to get out, as everyone wants the benefits of the EU without being members.

The right of the Tory party is now in a position to bring down any government that goes soft, though.

There will have to be another election, I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    The right of the Tory party is now in a position to bring down any government that goes soft, though.

Who would you have as next leader? Boris? Davis?

He could still get in.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    But it would encourage other countries to get out, as everyone wants the benefits of the EU without being members.
    I think you're confused about what a soft Brexit is, Monty old bean.

It means that very little changes, so little that you could argue (and the EU would) that the whole thing was pointless. If we end up more or less in the same position as we are now, why would anyone go through the bother of leaving given the hassle and cost associated with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post

As is the left of the Tory party, hence the need for compromise.

Although I think you're right. I'm guessing May goes at some point, someone steps in and agrees a Brexit deal at some level, and then we do this all over again.