Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol is more important than the election, imo. Anyone else become a gin hipster?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Alcohol is more important than the election, imo. Anyone else become a gin hipster?

I could guzzle G&Ts by the dozen so this trendy gin thing is most pleasant.

I used to drink Hendricks or Tanqueray no. 10 but have discovered a trendy one made near me called Silent Pool. Also bought a bottle of Gin Mare in duty free recently, both excellent.

And I drink them with orange peel, not lemon or lime. And when in Sevilla, they were serving them with a piece of lemon grass and a sprig of rosemary in massive glasses with loads of ice, also quite superb.

Mrs WES and I will vote (Tory of course) at about 8pm tonight and then steam into the trendy G&Ts in our local.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post

I used to drink Hendricks or Tanqueray no. 10 but have discovered a trendy one made near me called Silent Pool. Also bought a bottle of Gin Mare in duty free recently, both excellent.

And I drink them with orange peel, not lemon or lime. And when in Sevilla, they were serving them with a piece of lemon grass and a sprig of rosemary in massive glasses with loads of ice, also quite superb.

Mrs WES and I will vote (Tory of course) at about 8pm tonight and then steam into the trendy G&Ts in our local.

But what tonic do you drink WES, is it that new trendy one, or are you a schweppes man?
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    But what tonic do you drink WES, is it that new trendy one, or are you a schweppes man?
    It is all about the Fever Tree. Been an absolutely cracking addition to my Personal Account Dealing.

FEVR.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    He should go with Canada Dry.

The thing I find odd about all this gin hipsterism is that in the context of a gin and tonic, the flavour of the gin is secondary. It's the background alcohol punch underlying the aromatics and the tonic. In fact, I find the quality of the tonic is rather more crucial to a good G&T than the gin itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    The thing I find odd about all this gin hipsterism is that in the context of a gin and tonic, the flavour of the gin is secondary. It's the background alcohol punch underlying the aromatics and the tonic. In fact, I find the quality of the tonic is rather more crucial to a good G&T than the gin itself.
    True to some extent, but I do both. Trendy gin and trendy tonic. I use Fever Tree, and I think we favour one that says something about Mediterranean on it.

To be honest, once we start in on the G&Ts things get rather blurry quickly.

True to some extent, but I do both. Trendy gin and trendy tonic. I use Fever Tree, and I think we favour one that says something about Mediterranean on it.

To be honest, once we start in on the G&Ts things get rather blurry quickly.
    Yes. Fever tree is ace and can enliven even Tesco Value Gin, I imagine. As I say, I'm not saying that different gins don't have different flavours - they clearly do and I have my own preferences (although I'm an old-fashioned Gordon's Export man at the end of the day). However, a lot of the subtleties of the gin do get lost in a mixer and since no-one in their right mind drinks neat gin, I do wonder about the value of these fancier gins.

Yes. Fever tree is ace and can enliven even Tesco Value Gin, I imagine. As I say, I'm not saying that different gins don't have different flavours - they clearly do and I have my own preferences (although I'm an old-fashioned Gordon's Export man at the end of the day). However, a lot of the subtleties of the gin do get lost in a mixer and since no-one in their right mind drinks neat gin, I do wonder about the value of these fancier gins.
    I drank neat gin when it was the only thing left in the office the other week. Wasn't as bad as you would think

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I drank neat gin when it was the only thing left in the office the other week. Wasn't as bad as you would think
    I drank it once as a teen. I vomited almost instantly.

I have found that the aromatics and tonic you choose go better with some gins than others, as opposed to some of the gins just being fundamentally better.

Silent Pool and orange peel are a wonderful match. With Hendricks and Gin Mare I preferred lime, as an example.