Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: My sister's voting Labour - not a good sign

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Oh, no. It's not that sort of class we're talking about anymore. The self-appointed aristocracy of which I speak is controlled by a tiny metropolitan-based media/pop cultural Brahmin caste who effectively see themselves as being the arbiters of all that is or isn't acceptable. Their hangers-on and lickspittles are usually those of similar outlook and location, but lesser status, who seek reflected glory by mindlessly parroting their views and retweeting their tweets. These people have created an echo chamber that is extremely loud, but actually rather shallow, which is why they keep getting surprised when the electorate hands them their arses.
    Impudent brats! I wish I had their chutzpah. That's political correctness for you, I suppose
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Impudent brats! I wish I had their chutzpah. That's political correctness for you, I suppose
    Yes. Still, Mick Hucknall's sound, it turns out.

https://twitter.com/mjhucknall/statu...52745793212416

Yes. Still, Mick Hucknall's sound, it turns out.

https://twitter.com/mjhucknall/statu...52745793212416
    Decent chap. Never liked his music although I seem to recall some of it was featured in Miami Vice.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Lives in a predominantly white working class town and voted to leave the EU. Should in theory be a text-book example of someone deserting Labour. And yet....

Thinks Corbyn "seems like a nice bloke" and has been heavily influenced by endless Facebook memes about the Tories making cuts to public services and selling arms to Saudi Arabia. The depicting of Corbyn as a terrorist sympathiser has simply not cut through at all.

I'm back to being scared

Burney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!
    Isn't your sister Jewish?

The Tories are going to win, but Theresa May must be the most uninspiring Pm Britain has had for quite some time...

Quote Originally Posted by Darren's Dodgy Denim View Post
    The Tories are going to win, but Theresa May must be the most uninspiring Pm Britain has had for quite some time...
    No, you only need to look two PMs back to find that, I think.

Oh, no. It's not that sort of class we're talking about anymore. The self-appointed aristocracy of which I speak is controlled by a tiny metropolitan-based media/pop cultural Brahmin caste who effectively see themselves as being the arbiters of all that is or isn't acceptable. Their hangers-on and lickspittles are usually those of similar outlook and location, but lesser status, who seek reflected glory by mindlessly parroting their views and retweeting their tweets. These people have created an echo chamber that is extremely loud, but actually rather shallow, which is why they keep getting surprised when the electorate hands them their arses.
    You know, this sounds very much like it was birthed amidst the 80s London fashion, media and club scene. I don't know if you were there but the Face magazine and the New Musical Express, Ronnie Scott's, Heaven-under-the-Arches and the Wag club and illegal "warehouse" parties. WOMAD. Steve Strange and the Westwood siblings, Vivienne & Timothy. Soho and Camden. Richard Branson creating a budget airline to send London's surplus trendies to New York from where they could return even more insufferably trendy.

Basically the likes of Julie Burchill and Tony Parsons have finally taken over everything

Robert Elms wrote the foreword to my London book.

You know, this sounds very much like it was birthed amidst the 80s London fashion, media and club scene. I don't know if you were there but the Face magazine and the New Musical Express, Ronnie Scott's, Heaven-under-the-Arches and the Wag club and illegal "warehouse" parties. WOMAD. Steve Strange and the Westwood siblings, Vivienne & Timothy. Soho and Camden. Richard Branson creating a budget airline to send London's surplus trendies to New York from where they could return even more insufferably trendy.

Basically the likes of Julie Burchill and Tony Parsons have finally taken over everything

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Robert Elms wrote the foreword to my London book.
    Oh, yes. I forgot him. He was one of the ringleaders too, was he not.

I think you're possibly close there, but Julie Birchill has surely lapsed from that priesthood. Isn't she rather more Daily Mail these days?

I wasn't exactly 'there' as you put it, being more on the fringes of the fringes, but knew people who were closer to the height of the fashionable scene, or at least some more secretly fashionable subset of it, and part of the uniform was the politics. Even then I found it to be rigid and intolerant.