Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No one appears to be losing their shít about Wenger staying.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Didn't you say you refused to pay to watch His team play nowadays? That says it all, I think.
    I pay for my season tickets, I pay for my Sky and BT subscriptions. Why, I even pay for MotD via my TV licence.

I'm not sure what more you would like me to pay. Replica shirts aren't my thing, really. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Anyone who genuinely *loves* the club needs a life. I love my wife. I love my children. I love a vintage bottle of NSG with a wedge of aged Morbier.

I enjoy supporting Arsenal Football Club and watching Arsenal play a game of Association Football. But I don't enjoy those things when I know what the outcome will be and I know this outcome because recent history and an understanding of probability theory means I know what is overwhelmingly likely to happen.

A bit of uncertainty would go down real well right now, Monty.
    So presumably you think fans of middling clubs almost certain to finish no higher than midtable every year but still enjoy supporting their club are...what? Weird? Pathetic?

Anyone who genuinely *loves* the club needs a life. I love my wife. I love my children. I love a vintage bottle of NSG with a wedge of aged Morbier.

I enjoy supporting Arsenal Football Club and watching Arsenal play a game of Association Football. But I don't enjoy those things when I know what the outcome will be and I know this outcome because recent history and an understanding of probability theory means I know what is overwhelmingly likely to happen.

A bit of uncertainty would go down real well right now, Monty.
    With respect, and in all seriousness, this may well reflect the difference between the 'local' supporter and the foreign latecomer or, indeed, long distance fan. Those chaps one sees in Mumbai or Lagos are undoubtedly enthusiastic on cup final day when we win, but would, of course, desert us in droves if we were relegated, lacking as they do a real emotional and cultural connection to the club.

NTTAWWI, of course. It's just a different view.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    So presumably you think fans of middling clubs almost certain to finish no higher than midtable every year but still enjoy supporting their club are...what? Weird? Pathetic?
    Not at all, the context is entirely different. In fact, the way I would support Arsenal would be different depending on the time I supported them. I had precisely no expectations from 69-72 other than the odd Cup run.

However we are now one of the 10 richest clubs in the world so I think it is reasonable to expect us to challenge for our domestic league title most years. To fail to do so 7 or 8 years in a row for the same reason is just really dull and doesn't leave me frothing even slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I pay for my season tickets, I pay for my Sky and BT subscriptions. Why, I even pay for MotD via my TV licence.

I'm not sure what more you would like me to pay. Replica shirts aren't my thing, really. Sorry.
    No, that's fair enough, I reckon. Appearances *are* important though, as you know; in a war, it's crucial that the wrong sort don't get to control the airwaves, the images, the media generally.

Just sayin'.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    No, that's fair enough, I reckon. Appearances *are* important though, as you know; in a war, it's crucial that the wrong sort don't get to control the airwaves, the images, the media generally.

Just sayin'.
    I'll buy you a drink at our first home game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    With respect, and in all seriousness, this may well reflect the difference between the 'local' supporter and the foreign latecomer or, indeed, long distance fan. Those chaps one sees in Mumbai or Lagos are undoubtedly enthusiastic on cup final day when we win, but would, of course, desert us in droves if we were relegated, lacking as they do a real emotional and cultural connection to the club.

NTTAWWI, of course. It's just a different view.
    Yes, I think there is some truth to that. Although I would point out that I've lived in the UK for over 20 years, had a season ticket for 6 years (during which time we won precisely nothing) and was slightly obsessive about Arsenal during those years.

But ultimately, getting old dulled my enthusiasm slightly and watching the same thing year after year became dull.

Not at all, the context is entirely different. In fact, the way I would support Arsenal would be different depending on the time I supported them. I had precisely no expectations from 69-72 other than the odd Cup run.

However we are now one of the 10 richest clubs in the world so I think it is reasonable to expect us to challenge for our domestic league title most years. To fail to do so 7 or 8 years in a row for the same reason is just really dull and doesn't leave me frothing even slightly.
    I know, you think we've been mis-managed and should be doing better. But the fact is, we *are* now one of those middling clubs to which I alluded, guaranteed to finish no higher than second every season. So are you honestly claiming that if we didn't have as much money, your current interest levels would be greater?

Yes, I think there is some truth to that. Although I would point out that I've lived in the UK for over 20 years, had a season ticket for 6 years (during which time we won precisely nothing) and was slightly obsessive about Arsenal during those years.

But ultimately, getting old dulled my enthusiasm slightly and watching the same thing year after year became dull.
    I'm sure ageing dulls the enthusiasm of most balanced adults, really, but the emotional response that comes from falling in love with the sight of that pitch when you were ten years old, growing up fighting (verbally or even physically) for your team at school every day, never really leaves you, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Why would you lose interest in a club you profess to love, just because it is not being managed to your liking?

Surely anyone who genuinely loves the club *should* be rabidly frothing at the mouth?
    Excuse me, I am frothing at the mouth. Right now. This minute.