Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We must not change our way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    There's the rub though; they actually are entitled. Otherwise, what does modern, liberal and secular actually mean.
    Well what it should mean is a society that has a clear idea of its own values and is free and tolerant up to the point at which it is threatened. At that point, it should be confident enough to act ruthlessly in its own defence. We've made the mistake of thinking 'tolerant' means 'prepared to tolerate anything in defence of some vague idea of inclusivity'. It doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    No. It's stuff that has been enacted in direct response to acts of Islamic terror.
    Airport security has always been a thing, machine gun-toting police have long been a feature of both supermarkets in Benidorm and football matches in Germany and nobody forces anybody to tell their life stories to LinkedIn or Facebook, do they.

Wars on terror or whtever-have-you is just a McGuffin, imo. In these matters, solutions very often do predate the problem.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Airport security has always been a thing, machine gun-toting police have long been a feature of both supermarkets in Benidorm and football matches in Germany and nobody forces anybody to tell their life stories to LinkedIn or Facebook, do they.

Wars on terror or whtever-have-you is just a McGuffin, imo. In these matters, solutions very often do predate the problem.
    Erm, have you been on a civilian flight since 11th September 2001, r?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Whoever is in front of me in the queue for security doesn't appear to have.
    The amount of ****ing about people do. If you are not ready to go through security they should give you 30 seconds and send you to the back of the queue.

there was some tosser with a 2l bottle of milk in front of me before throwing it away he had a leisurely swig of it.

Well what it should mean is a society that has a clear idea of its own values and is free and tolerant up to the point at which it is threatened. At that point, it should be confident enough to act ruthlessly in its own defence. We've made the mistake of thinking 'tolerant' means 'prepared to tolerate anything in defence of some vague idea of inclusivity'. It doesn't.
    Taken to its logical conclusion though, it does mean that. I agree that it actually shouldn't.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

No, of course not. I have heard one or two stories though.

Is it any different than flying with NATO or the Navy? I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post

Good Lord man, I don't advise flying with the Navy; those chaps have a very bizarre attitude to aircraft - specifically, the landing thereof.

The only thing worse than a matelot in the flight deck would be a brown job.

r, this happened on a suburban street in Manchester yesterday and no-one sees it as disproportionate or incongruous.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/867278332798390272

It seems undeniable to me that we have come to accept a new definition of normal in response to Islamic terrorism.

The heading of this post is normally interpreted as "we must not change THEIR way of life". Ban the burkha for starters and blame terrorism.

Yesterday of all days Facebook was awash with some crappy footage of some Oz broad bawling out someone in a "racist attack". This is somehow given equivalence with a sectarian and racist attack which leaves 22 people dead.

r, this happened on a suburban street in Manchester yesterday and no-one sees it as disproportionate or incongruous.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/867278332798390272

It seems undeniable to me that we have come to accept a new definition of normal in response to Islamic terrorism.
    I'm sure this sort of thing happens all the time. For example, Manchester has serious gang troubles too, doesn't it? Drugs?

It's no secret, the police business is in rude health. What of it?
    Last edited by redgunamo; 05-24-2017 at 09:47 AM.