Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We must not change our way of life.

We must not change our way of life.

Oh look here comes the Army.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    The army's always there, P. Watching. Waiting..
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Well quite. What the cretins who say that ignore is the extent to which Islamic terrorism has already changed our lives. Security at airports, armed police on the streets, an increased acceptance of state monitoring of our lives - all these things have changed our way of life.

If them not changing our way of life is your benchmark for us winning, we lost ages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Well quite. What the cretins who say that ignore is the extent to which Islamic terrorism has already changed our lives. Security at airports, armed police on the streets, an increased acceptance of state monitoring of our lives - all these things have changed our way of life.

If them not changing our way of life is your benchmark for us winning, we lost ages ago.
    I'm not sure. Isn't that mostly stuff we were doing, or at least would like to have been doing, anyway?

People didn't want war, everybody wanted peace. Well, this is what peace typically looks like
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

Exactly.

But I think the Muslim community need to understand and accept that unfortunately they will need to experience some inconvenience because of actions of some people doing/saying things in the name of their religion.

But everyone is so ****ing touchy about offending anybody.

I am pretty sure there are tragedies that could or would be averted if somebody stepped in to say something rather than living in fear of being branded a racist.

Exactly.

But I think the Muslim community need to understand and accept that unfortunately they will need to experience some inconvenience because of actions of some people doing/saying things in the name of their religion.

I am pretty sure there are tragedies that could or would be averted if somebody stepped in to say something rather than living in fear of being branded a racist.
    The statutory legitimisation of offence-taking has been a disaster. People are entitled to believe whatever the hell they want. However, they are not entitled to expect others to respect those beliefs and they are certainly not entitled to enact those beliefs in such a way that it impinges upon the day-to-day operation of a modern, liberal, secular society. These things you would have thought were self-evident, but instead society has twisted itself into knots to accommodate the entirely incompatible belief system of a particular religious group. The result has been chaos, resentment and entrenched division.

Exactly.

There's the essential contradiction, right there, I'm afraid. Where do you imagine people that get all upset at a bit of name-calling and one or two squaddies on street corners are going to gather the necessary resolve to take serious, cold-blooded, hard-hearted measures from.

If we were that way inclined, we wouldn't have arrived where we are in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    I'm not sure. Isn't that mostly stuff we were doing, or at least would like to have been doing, anyway?

People didn't want war, everybody wanted peace. Well, this is what peace typically looks like
    No. It's stuff that has been enacted in direct response to acts of Islamic terror.

Are these squaddies likely to be from *gulp* line regiments? It's going to be carnage

The statutory legitimisation of offence-taking has been a disaster. People are entitled to believe whatever the hell they want. However, they are not entitled to expect others to respect those beliefs and they are certainly not entitled to enact those beliefs in such a way that it impinges upon the day-to-day operation of a modern, liberal, secular society. These things you would have thought were self-evident, but instead society has twisted itself into knots to accommodate the entirely incompatible belief system of a particular religious group. The result has been chaos, resentment and entrenched division.
    There's the rub though; they actually are entitled. Otherwise, what does modern, liberal and secular actually mean.