Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: :clap: The Boy Owen got there first.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Yet your previous message suggested that all muslims want to do this and any that don't are not proper muslims.

Going on to explain that the only true religion is found in the verbatim acceptance of original script is a very childish and rather idiotic attempt to disguise the fact that you wrote a deliberately inflammatory message- which is also rather childish.

Poor form....expect better.
    I did not in any sense suggest that all muslims want to do this. I said that to do so is the most logical, rational course of action for a practicing, dutiful Muslim. This is because the book that they believe is the immutable word of God impels them to do so. To not do so is simply inconsistent with what they otherwise claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    But you say yourself that believing it is right to fight nonbelievers for the sake of Islamic rule is a credible reading of the Quran. We know this because you say the Quran "certainly does have passages which encourage this sort of behavior".

So why would you then say anyone who follows that interpretation "clearly has something very wrong with them"? It is their entirely credible (by your own admission) interpretation of a book containing what they believe is the immutable words of God.
    Which is precisely what is wrong with them. Surrendering your will to an interpretation of an age old book that hardly anybody around you agrees with, and which demands from you actions that all but a psychopath would be appalled by, is not a rational, logical act. It is an act of desperation and stupidity.

Apart from anything else, how can blind faith ever be logical.

For one thing, it is far older than medieval. All religions have barbarism within them. There are horrific passages in the bible containing absurd and contradictory laws with appalling punishment. Unfortunately there are some in every religion that are drawn towards this historical interpretation to support what are very modern desires and conflicts.

For radical Islamic terrorst read KKK. Every religion has them....
    Yes, those KKK madmen planting bombs all over the shop... and don't get me started on those radicasl Buddhists mowing pedestrians down all over Europe, honestly.

Yes, every religion is just as dangerous as Islam. They're all the same. Yes.

I did not in any sense suggest that all muslims want to do this. I said that to do so is the most logical, rational course of action for a practicing, dutiful Muslim. This is because the book that they believe is the immutable word of God impels them to do so. To not do so is simply inconsistent with what they otherwise claim.
    So all practicing, dutiful muslims want to do it, or certainly should want to? And any that don't are not dutiful muslims? Or just not being rational?

For one thing, it is far older than medieval. All religions have barbarism within them. There are horrific passages in the bible containing absurd and contradictory laws with appalling punishment. Unfortunately there are some in every religion that are drawn towards this historical interpretation to support what are very modern desires and conflicts.

For radical Islamic terrorst read KKK. Every religion has them....
    Yes, and if Christian or Jewish fundamentalism currently existed on anything like the same scale as Islamic fundamentalism, I (and I am sure Charlie too) would be condemning it in equally strong terms.

Andreas Breavik, Dylann Roof....these people are as worthy of our contempt as any muslim extremist and no-one worth listening to would ever claim otherwise.

I suppose it can be, but it doesn't have to be. Exhibit A: Arsene Wenger.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Yes, those KKK madmen planting bombs all over the shop... and don't get me started on those radicasl Buddhists mowing pedestrians down all over Europe, honestly.

Yes, every religion is just as dangerous as Islam. They're all the same. Yes.
    I didn't say they were. My point was that if you want to blame the religion for the acts of people who hide behind it, based on the fact that it does say some awful things, then you could level the same claim against other religions.

I don't blame the religion.

Which is precisely what is wrong with them. Surrendering your will to an interpretation of an age old book that hardly anybody around you agrees with, and which demands from you actions that all but a psychopath would be appalled by, is not a rational, logical act. It is an act of desperation and stupidity.

If you believe what they believe, their actions are utterly logical. In the same way that a person caught in the grips of a psychotic episode, convinced they are hearing voices compelling them to murder, would also be acting logically.

Yes, and if Christian or Jewish fundamentalism currently existed on anything like the same scale as Islamic fundamentalism, I (and I am sure Charlie too) would be condemning it in equally strong terms.

Andreas Breavik, Dylann Roof....these people are as worthy of our contempt as any muslim extremist and no-one worth listening to would ever claim otherwise.
    But would you suggest that all dutiful Christians in their right mind would act the same?

I didn't say they were. My point was that if you want to blame the religion for the acts of people who hide behind it, based on the fact that it does say some awful things, then you could level the same claim against other religions.

I don't blame the religion.
    I don't blame the religion, I blame the people. I blame the people who commit these acts, the people who help them plan it, and the people amongst whom they live, who tacitly or overtly support these actions. They just happen to be connected and inspired by the religion.