Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: :clap: The Boy Owen got there first.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Sure, but we all have articles of faith, don't we? For us it's pretty much a mechanical article of faith to say that democracy is good, free speech is good, women and gays should have the same rights as straight men and that there should be no racial discrimination.
    What we should be doing to defend ourselves against being massacred in the streets is to start by defending those values imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Certainly not Cambridge I hope
    Indeed ...
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    What we should be doing to defend ourselves against being massacred in the streets is to start by defending those values imo.
    I agree entirely. All I'm saying is let's not get hung up on thinking that our core beliefs are objective truths while the other guy's are just delusional nonsense.

I agree entirely. All I'm saying is let's not get hung up on thinking that our core beliefs are objective truths while the other guy's are just delusional nonsense.
    They are objective truths in a scientific sense, since truth has an symbiotic relationship with science.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    They are objective truths in a scientific sense, since truth has an symbiotic relationship with science.
    You mean there is always truth in science? Once science has confirmed something is true you know it to be so without any requirement for faith?

Blimey, there's my understanding of over 400 years of scientific investigation blown out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    You mean there is always truth in science? Once science has confirmed something is true you know it to be so without any requirement for faith?

Blimey, there's my understanding of over 400 years of scientific investigation blown out the window.
    Not quite. There are objective truths to be found in observable, empirical science. Things we know make life better for humans. Of course, science is always open to refutation (unlike religion, and particularly Islam).

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    No. They are value judgments based on a particular set of mores. There is nothing objectively true about the statement 'A woman should be treated equally to a man' or 'You should not discriminate against homosexuals'. They are simply beliefs that we hold.

No. They are value judgments based on a particular set of mores. There is nothing objectively true about the statement 'A woman should be treated equally to a man' or 'You should not discriminate against homosexuals'. They are simply beliefs that we hold.
    I disagree. The reasons why a woman should be treated equally to a man can be found in science, or at least are supported by science.

No one believes any of that shít really, though.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Hardly surprising, I made them both up.

Go on, Peter, tell us where you got your degree. We promise not to laugh.

Too much.
    I got mine on ebay but that is thoroughly beside the point.