Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: :clap: The Boy Owen got there first.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I never mentioned medicine. My question is how scientific study can ever embrace the notion of a societal 'better'..... better in what sense/whose opinion/to what end?
    Sorry, let me just be sure I know exactly what's actually happening here. You are disputing the idea that drinking can be, and often is, beneficial to individuals and groups, and that these benefits can be scientifically measured?

My word. Ok, carry on?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Sorry, let me just be sure I know exactly what's actually happening here. You are disputing the idea that drinking can be, and often is, beneficial to individuals and groups, and that these benefits can be scientifically measured?

My word. Ok, carry on?
    No. I am saying that the notion that those benefits necessarily make the world better is a value judgement that any scientists would run away from. And god almighty, do you really need me to run you through some of the catastrophic side effects of drinking? From alcoholism, domestic violence and the social cost of binge drinking in every town centre every weekend to the sheer cost of policing, the number of date rapes linked to alcohol etc etc etc.....

Spend a Friday night in Newcastle and give me a ring at 3 in the morning. Lets see whether your hypothesis is still so unshakeable....

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    No. I am saying that the notion that those benefits necessarily make the world better is a value judgement that any scientists would run away from. And god almighty, do you really need me to run you through some of the catastrophic side effects of drinking? From alcoholism, domestic violence and the social cost of binge drinking in every town centre every weekend to the sheer cost of policing, the number of date rapes linked to alcohol etc etc etc.....

Spend a Friday night in Newcastle and give me a ring at 3 in the morning. Lets see whether your hypothesis is still so unshakeable....
    It's not catastrophic. Drinking is an overall benefit. All the people you're talking about there are gainfully employed, paying taxes and so on. After all, boozing isn't free, and neither is policing and social working and whatnot.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Drinking is an overall benefit.
    Not to the alcoholic individual
    10 characters? Pile of cund.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva Prat Vegas View Post
    Not to the alcoholic individual
    IAHYK vpv. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    IAHYK vpv. Cheers

Your absorption capacity and continuing ability to function on a coherent and undead level would baffle any scientist
    10 characters? Pile of cund.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva Prat Vegas View Post

Your absorption capacity and continuing ability to function on a coherent and undead level would baffle any scientist
    That's one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    IAHYK vpv. Cheers
    Precisely. I was gonna say, you don't see Ananconda complaining, do you.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Precisely. I was gonna say, you don't see Ananconda complaining, do you.
    You've clearly never spoken to me first thing on a Monday morning, r