Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: :clap: The Boy Owen got there first.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    It was also your insistence that the individual doesn't exist. You have become the anti-Thatcher
    Oh, the individual exists absolutely! What doesn't exist is 'The Individual' as defined by a sort of global average. I reject the latter absolutely, since he absolutely doesn't exist.

Gotta go now, suffice to say I believe human capacity for empathy, charity, and all the stuff that can trickle down to those less fortunate is scientifically rooted. But so are human traits such selfishness for ourselves and our own (e.g kin selection) which is (partly) why the world is so imperfect and unequal. But this imperfection and inequality does not any any way detract from the scientific basis behind my argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I see no mention of democracy or capitalism in my post, to be honest. I merely speak about the power relationships that exist between different groups of people globally and the fact that our system relies to a huge extent on us shītting on other people in other societies the world over who may not feel their sum of human happiness is quite what it might be.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Precisely. I was gonna say, you don't see Ananconda complaining, do you.
    You've clearly never spoken to me first thing on a Monday morning, r

Quote Originally Posted by Viva Prat Vegas View Post

Your absorption capacity and continuing ability to function on a coherent and undead level would baffle any scientist
    That's one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    That's just good breeding though, innit. If your parents can at least be bothered to ensure you attend the better sort of institution, it suggests you may be of the right sort yourself.

Of course, that isn't going to work for everyone, but if it did, then what would be the point of it
    You are saying that Rich is well-bred?

If we ignore that the balance of probability suggests from his posts that he is a semi-fictional character at least, we have a man who has shown academic excellence, and worked hard to achieve a prestigious position from a prestigious institution, and yet we'd be hard pressed to find many posters here who would claim that his contributions reveal much intelligence, insight, originality, wit or erudition.

Executive summary: academic achievements can be over-rated.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    I'm pretty sure you could come up with a scientific basis for outlawing slavery and sending 6 year olds down the mines. Or at least I wouldn't write off the possibility.
    Here's a scientific fact: Small children were useful down mines because they fitted better and required less food to reproduce their labour. See also: chimneys.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post

If we ignore that the balance of probability suggests from his posts that he is a semi-fictional character at least, we have a man who has shown academic excellence, and worked hard to achieve a prestigious position from a prestigious institution, and yet we'd be hard pressed to find many posters here who would claim that his contributions reveal much intelligence, insight, originality, wit or erudition.

That's just envy though, ain't it. Otherwise, why does everybody seem to want them?

To be fair, I believe they're over-rated too, which is why, imo, it is far better to be thrown out of the right school than it is to pass with flying colours from the wrong one.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

To be fair to the boy, he does know his cricket though. Can't fake that

Here's a scientific fact: Small children were useful down mines because they fitted better and required less food to reproduce their labour. See also: chimneys.
    Sort of like whippets? Cheaper to keep and feed and more manageable than greyhounds?
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    That's deflection. The point is that Monty is actually correct in that you can find a scientific basis for pretty much everything if you look hard enough.

Although quite why that is relevant to anything I have now forgotten.

F*ck me, what was this thread about in the first place?
    This substantial detour came from comments that we should start to defend ourselves from Islamist terrorism by defending our social values, which implies a discussion of what those values are and why they are worth defending. This happened. wd AWIMB