Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How long until the first Simon Jenkins piece explaining how we

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Gut instinct is learned, though. i grew up in a house with an Irish father who grew up supporting Ireland at rugby. I therefore supported Ireland. Nothing to do with actual national allegiance (I feel none whatsoever for Ireland), just supporting the same team as your dad.
    Just come out and say it B, none will think less of you, it may even be cathartic.

You actually want to be Irish.

Go on. Let it out.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Just come out and say it B, none will think less of you, it may even be cathartic.

You actually want to be Irish.

Go on. Let it out.
    No. I always thought the football team were a useless bunch of clogging cünts, too.

No. I always thought the football team were a useless bunch of clogging cünts, too.
    Yep - I still have a soft spot for the Irish rugby team but stopped supporting the football team in Jack Charlton's day. Only really support England at rugby because my dad took me to Twickenham. Though it was only recently I realised why we were always surrounded by opposition fans

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Yep - I still have a soft spot for the Irish rugby team but stopped supporting the football team in Jack Charlton's day. Only really support England at rugby because my dad took me to Twickenham. Though it was only recently I realised why we were always surrounded by opposition fans
    Because we whipped your asses in Stuttgart in 88?

Jaysus. Sore loser.

I was. So what?
    So nothing. I just wanted you to answer my question without me having to ask it. At a casual glance, my father and I are both African. Except that we're not African because we "chose" not to be. My sons don't support England because it's my country.

You don't see that you've (both) actually voted with your feet here and that that's what matters? As adults, people have choices. Even gut instincts are choices; we choose the bits of gut instinct we like, that we are happy with.

So, to get back to the point, isn't it hard to deny that your sort has, at least, a mild form of "hate all outward manifestations of their own nation", which may have begun to encourage the sort of consequences we are seeing today? It's certainly sympathetic to those lefty, multi-culti ideas, isn't it. A superficial manifestation perhaps.

I can also see why people bristle at the very thought; Ian Wright, John Terry
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Because we whipped your asses in Stuttgart in 88?

Jaysus. Sore loser.
    Actually that match did decide it for me - but beforehand not the result (I'll overlook the fact that it was a foul on our Tone for the goal). Jack's decision to go with McCarthy above O'Leary was an insult to football - and I started going to Wembley a lot for England games once Adams got into the team. Nothing to do with either country really