Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I find the people who love getting outraged at

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Britain less Europe View Post
    Islamists are the new IRA. Plenty of support from the hand-wrining classes and quite a few politicians.
    Yes, the wife was just wondering aloud whether that other big Manchester bombing was before or after we met.

As if I'd remember that
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    It's all the 'how can we stop this?' horseshît that bothers me. This sort of stuff could be stopped relatively easily by the introduction of a few emergency measures (the internment of everyone on a terrorist watch list and the shutting down of radicalising mosques for a start). But of course the hand-wringers would be the first to start whining about those measures.

I can't see why people just expect us to say. Oh well another lunatic killed some people that happens now and again. let's move on.
    lets not blame anybody for it.

It's all the 'how can we stop this?' horseshît that bothers me. This sort of stuff could be stopped relatively easily by the introduction of a few emergency measures (the internment of everyone on a terrorist watch list and the shutting down of radicalising mosques for a start). But of course the hand-wringers would be the first to start whining about those measures.
    It may not be fair to all but unfortunately the fair approach does not seem to be working. It needs a response like this to make a tangible difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    It may not be fair to all but unfortunately the fair approach does not seem to be working. It needs a response like this to make a tangible difference.
    People will say it's disproportionate, of course, but in doing so they ignore all the resources and effort that currently go into trying to stop these people and the sheer human and material cost of their actions. I strongly suspect you could round up fewer than 1,000 people tonight and cut your risk of this sort of attack by 95%. How is that disproportionate?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post

I can't see why people just expect us to say. Oh well another lunatic killed some people that happens now and again. let's move on.
    lets not blame anybody for it.
    The event needs to be given a snappy name before it can really become an event.

Think 9/11 or 7/7 as the incident in your own city became.

We always went down the route of simply naming them by the location - the Omagh bomb, the Enniskillen bomb, the Warrenpoint bomb which in my case is simply the bomb.

People will say it's disproportionate, of course, but in doing so they ignore all the resources and effort that currently go into trying to stop these people and the sheer human and material cost of their actions. I strongly suspect you could round up fewer than 1,000 people tonight and cut your risk of this sort of attack by 95%. How is that disproportionate?
    How long do you intend to hold these 1000 people for.... few weeks, months, years? And what % would you be comfortable with that are completely innocent??
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    How long do you intend to hold these 1000 people for.... few weeks, months, years? And what % would you be comfortable with that are completely innocent??
    Indefinitely. I would obviously subject them to de-radicalisation/deprogramming in the hope of turning them into decent human beings, but where that seems impossible, I'd keep them locked up indefinitely since they are plainly a threat to innocent people.

As to the slim possibility of them being innocent - do you mean 'innocent' like Moazzam Begg who 'went on holiday' to Afghanistan and in a terrible mix-up ended up getting caught by coalition forces and put in Guantanamo? That sort of 'innocent'? I'm intensely comfortable with that possibility if it means preventing acts of terror on our streets.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    The event needs to be given a snappy name before it can really become an event.

Think 9/11 or 7/7 as the incident in your own city became.

We always went down the route of simply naming them by the location - the Omagh bomb, the Enniskillen bomb, the Warrenpoint bomb which in my case is simply the bomb.
    No, 'the bomb' is the atomic bomb, surely? That's agreed upon.

Also the Warrenpoint attack involved more than one bomb, surely?

No, 'the bomb' is the atomic bomb, surely? That's agreed upon.

Also the Warrenpoint attack involved more than one bomb, surely?
    Well I am from there and was naturally in the town that day to the attack is the bomb, the atomic bomb is the atomic bomb.

Anyhow, it was two detonated about half an hour later when the initial panic had calmed down somewhat and the army had began to organise themselves. It was the secondary event that killed the majority.

Indefinitely. I would obviously subject them to de-radicalisation/deprogramming in the hope of turning them into decent human beings, but where that seems impossible, I'd keep them locked up indefinitely since they are plainly a threat to innocent people.

As to the slim possibility of them being innocent - do you mean 'innocent' like Moazzam Begg who 'went on holiday' to Afghanistan and in a terrible mix-up ended up getting caught by coalition forces and put in Guantanamo? That sort of 'innocent'? I'm intensely comfortable with that possibility if it means preventing acts of terror on our streets.
    So (and I am only throwing this out there.. this isn't my view) you would be happy to lock up people indefinately .. obviously your 1000 people is a number you plucked from thin air... as is the 95%, and amongst those 1000 there must be a strong possibilty that you would get entirely innocent members of the public who just happen to be muslim being locked away for years.... I think i can see problems ahead.

you do seem to have a radical reasoning for terrorism, I seem to remember you and Rich (not the best side to be on) thought that the French shouldjust go and shoot the lights out at a hostage situation a few yeasrs ago as all hostages were likely to be dead..... they weren't and i do believe they nearly all gto out unharmed.
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar