Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strange comment from Pochettino about taking a 'risk' on Ali ?

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    This is how Cheryl Ladd took the news

Attachment 623
    loooooooooooool.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    I read somewhere the other day that in his last season at Borussia they were playing a 3-5-2. Maybe this formation will bring the best out of him as well.
    He definitely needs a bit of help due to lack of pace so this is a good thing. Best thing about the system is we have ball-playing centre backs so they can step forward. Really think Chambers could thrive in it as well. After he gets his hat-trick on Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    That's not a risk old chap. That's a punt...
    There is no risk on paying £5m on any player for a club of that size. If they don't work out, you move them on and pretty much cover your cost.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39956996

£40m on Xhaka.. Now that, was a risk.
    It was too much of a risk for Arsenal, who thought he was too expensive, according to Clive from the AV podcast, who seems to know football in and around the Milton Keynes area quite well.

And Grant Shackleton wasn't £40m, was he? Bit harsh to add five to ten million onto a player's fee just to qunt him off. Are you Tony Cascarino?

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    It was too much of a risk for Arsenal, who thought he was too expensive, according to Clive from the AV podcast, who seems to know football in and around the Milton Keynes area quite well.

And Grant Shackleton wasn't £40m, was he? Bit harsh to add five to ten million onto a player's fee just to qunt him off. Are you Tony Cascarino?
    Well.. To you and everyone else that interpreted this as a slight on Xhaka, it wasn't.. My comment was simply that it was a far greater risk to spend 40m on a player, with no major track record in playing in one of the most competitive leagues in Europe, as opposed to taking a punt of £5m on a player from the lower divisions.
    For the record. I like Xhaka. I like his spirit, a tad reckless perhaps but certainly a player that adds steel to the midfield. A good eye for goal and as SC pointed out, a very good passer of a ball.

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    Well.. To you and everyone else that interpreted this as a slight on Xhaka, it wasn't.. My comment was simply that it was a far greater risk to spend 40m on a player, with no major track record in playing in one of the most competitive leagues in Europe, as opposed to taking a punt of £5m on a player from the lower divisions.
    For the record. I like Xhaka. I like his spirit, a tad reckless perhaps but certainly a player that adds steel to the midfield. A good eye for goal and as SC pointed out, a very good passer of a ball.
    Ok, but if we are to "spend some fùcking money" as so many have been demanding, and especially in an inflated market, then that is going to involve risk by its nature. After all, the reason why we didn't spend the chuffing money for so long was because the club/manager thought it too much of a risk, at a time of austerity for the club.

Did Man Utd take a risk on Pogba? Yes, but it doesn't matter because they can probably afford a risk like that every year. We might be able to do that once, but we couldn't do that every year.

Ok, but if we are to "spend some fùcking money" as so many have been demanding, and especially in an inflated market, then that is going to involve risk by its nature. After all, the reason why we didn't spend the chuffing money for so long was because the club/manager thought it too much of a risk, at a time of austerity for the club.

Did Man Utd take a risk on Pogba? Yes, but it doesn't matter because they can probably afford a risk like that every year. We might be able to do that once, but we couldn't do that every year.
    I suppose reducing the risk by signing *decent* players is out of the question?
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

We have been spending money for years A - Ozil, Sanchez, Xhaka, Mustafi. None cheap.

Chamberlain, Welbeck, Perez.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    We have been spending money for years A - Ozil, Sanchez, Xhaka, Mustafi. None cheap.

Chamberlain, Welbeck, Perez.
    SW, I need to PM you but don't know how.

How do you PM people on this Awimb?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    SW, I need to PM you but don't know how.

How do you PM people on this Awimb?
    I think you click on the icon / name thing and go from there. Not sure it works mind you.

I look forward to your communication.

Pogba, while a fine footballer, represented a club making a huge PR statement.

One of the 2-3 biggest clubs in the world yet seen by many to be in decline, albeit temporary. A club missing from the very top table of club football, the CL.

So what do you do, go out and remind the world who you are by signing the most expensive footballer in the world. He was a signing beyond the obvious impact on and ability on the pitch. A risk perhaps but an investment nonetheless.