Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Happy Birthday

Happy Birthday

to Manuel Almunia - 40 today.

He was absolutely ****ing ****e (apart from that first half against Barcelona) wasn't he?

...that match against WBA, jesus
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Against Man U at Highbury when he contrived to make Donkey O'Shea appear skillful.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    to Manuel Almunia - 40 today.

He was absolutely ****ing ****e (apart from that first half against Barcelona) wasn't he?

...that match against WBA, jesus
    Six years Wenger subjected us to that clown ...six fścking years!

Quote Originally Posted by Herbette Chapman - aged 15 View Post
    Six years Wenger subjected us to that clown ...six fścking years!
    I'll admit that He was a leetle stubborn with the whole Almunia experiment. Peter will still tell you what a marvelous goalkeeper he was, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I'll admit that He was a leetle stubborn with the whole Almunia experiment. Peter will still tell you what a marvelous goalkeeper he was, though.
    He wasn't that bad but he was just not good enough. He was brave, would make a string of saves and then let in a sitter.

Having said that.... Bob Wilson, (briefly) Pat Jennings, David Seaman... not many great keepers in our last 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Britain less Europe View Post
    He wasn't that bad but he was just not good enough. He was brave, would make a string of saves and then let in a sitter.

Having said that.... Bob Wilson, (briefly) Pat Jennings, David Seaman... not many great keepers in our last 50 years.
    Bob Wilson wasn't a great keeper - not as far as those I've heard who were around back then are concerned he wasn't, anyway.

Also, beaten on his near post by Steve Heighway in the 71 Cup Final

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Britain less Europe View Post

I'm glad you left out Jens. He's a bit over-rated imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I'm glad you left out Jens. He's a bit over-rated imo.
    I sometimes hated Jens. A solid enough goalkeeper, but apt to do something entirely insane that created problems where none were necessary. Even more than getting sent off in the CL Final, I can't forgive him for essentially allowing Tottenham a draw in the game where we won the League at their place by acting the cūnt. That should have been a double humiliation for Tottenham and he took a tiny bit of the gloss off that day purely by being a dick.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I sometimes hated Jens. A solid enough goalkeeper, but apt to do something entirely insane that created problems where none were necessary. Even more than getting sent off in the CL Final, I can't forgive him for essentially allowing Tottenham a draw in the game where we won the League at their place by acting the cūnt. That should have been a double humiliation for Tottenham and he took a tiny bit of the gloss off that day purely by being a dick.
    The opponents knew that all they had to do was go and stealthly stand on his toe at a corner and there was a fairly decent chance that he would thump you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    The opponents knew that all they had to do was go and stealthly stand on his toe at a corner and there was a fairly decent chance that he would thump you.
    We could do with a bit more of that attitude, imo. HBMAAHBAMIMO

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Arrowhead View Post
    We could do with a bit more of that attitude, imo. HBMAAHBAMIMO
    What, being easy to wind-up and get sent off?