Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: So as we surged towards that 4th place like a trophy, you can imagine the Emirates

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Well whether or not you care is likely to be influenced by your views on Wenger. If you're sufficiently pissed off with him and want him out no matter what, it stands to reason that you'd be indifferent about finishing top four. In fact, there's even a certain logic in wanting us to miss out in the hope that it forces the issue of him leaving.

    All things being equal, however, it would be somewhat odd not to care about whether the team you claim to support qualifies for one of the sport's most prestigious competitions (albeit one that is flawed)
    Yes, that's right. My indifference to the CL is in part based on my view that as long as Wenger is our manager we have no chance of winning it.

    Also, on a practical level I fail to see how it is 'massive' to miss out on it. BGS (I think) posted the other day that the difference between being knocked out of the CL in the first knockout round and making it to the final of the EL is about 10mil difference only. Hardly significant to a club with over 300mil a year in annual turnover. In fact, I read that ManU had made more in the EL this year than they did in their last CL year. Player recruitment? Well, recent history suggests that is also not true. Both Chelsea and ManU were able to recruit experienced world class players without CL football. Sponsorship deals that reduce their financial commitment if we aren't in it? Possible but I have yet to hear that this is true. Increased wages in order to attract players because you don't have CL football. Again, possible, but I'm dubious that agents would use that as leverage.

    Prestige? Yes, I suppose so. But does 21 in 21 sound miles more prestigious than 20 in 21? I don't think so.

  2. #12
    We can't win the CL whils Wenger is here because we can't win it in the next 2 years anyway, it takes a bit of time to build a team like that.

    My concern is that we cannot win the CL and probably not the premier league whilst Kronke is here, and he ain't going nowhere.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Yes, that's right. My indifference to the CL is in part based on my view that as long as Wenger is our manager we have no chance of winning it.

    Also, on a practical level I fail to see how it is 'massive' to miss out on it. BGS (I think) posted the other day that the difference between being knocked out of the CL in the first knockout round and making it to the final of the EL is about 10mil difference only. Hardly significant to a club with over 300mil a year in annual turnover. In fact, I read that ManU had made more in the EL this year than they did in their last CL year. Player recruitment? Well, recent history suggests that is also not true. Both Chelsea and ManU were able to recruit experienced world class players without CL football. Sponsorship deals that reduce their financial commitment if we aren't in it? Possible but I have yet to hear that this is true. Increased wages in order to attract players because you don't have CL football. Again, possible, but I'm dubious that agents would use that as leverage.

    Prestige? Yes, I suppose so. But does 21 in 21 sound miles more prestigious than 20 in 21? I don't think so.
    All of that may well be true (although I don't think we would be able to attract a Paul Pogba-esque signing while not in the CL) but it still doesn't logically follow that you wouldn't care whether or not we qualify. Somewhat underwhelmed by the prospect, of course, but to be entirely agnostic is a bit weird.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    All of that may well be true (although I don't think we would be able to attract a Paul Pogba-esque signing while not in the CL) but it still doesn't logically follow that you wouldn't care whether or not we qualify. Somewhat underwhelmed by the prospect, of course, but to be entirely agnostic is a bit weird.
    Not being in Europe at all might do it though? No big money signings, just concentrate on doing what we do but doing it more and better.

    Wenger often says Himself that we worry too much about new players, when really what counts is playing good football, and winning games with the players you have.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

    "But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    All of that may well be true (although I don't think we would be able to attract a Paul Pogba-esque signing while not in the CL) but it still doesn't logically follow that you wouldn't care whether or not we qualify. Somewhat underwhelmed by the prospect, of course, but to be entirely agnostic is a bit weird.
    Would you rather make the CL and get knocked out in the first knockout round or win the EL? What do you think the odds of those two occurrences are? I would think the odds for the former are very strong and that we would be favourites to win the EL.

    We are in no position to denigrate Thu football imo. Only a self-entitled muppet would do that.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo Britain less Europe View Post
    We can't win the CL whils Wenger is here because we can't win it in the next 2 years anyway, it takes a bit of time to build a team like that.

    My concern is that we cannot win the CL and probably not the premier league whilst Kronke is here, and he ain't going nowhere.
    On the other hand, we could just get good. And lucky.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

    "But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Yes, that's right. My indifference to the CL is in part based on my view that as long as Wenger is our manager we have no chance of winning it.

    Also, on a practical level I fail to see how it is 'massive' to miss out on it. BGS (I think) posted the other day that the difference between being knocked out of the CL in the first knockout round and making it to the final of the EL is about 10mil difference only. Hardly significant to a club with over 300mil a year in annual turnover. In fact, I read that ManU had made more in the EL this year than they did in their last CL year. Player recruitment? Well, recent history suggests that is also not true. Both Chelsea and ManU were able to recruit experienced world class players without CL football. Sponsorship deals that reduce their financial commitment if we aren't in it? Possible but I have yet to hear that this is true. Increased wages in order to attract players because you don't have CL football. Again, possible, but I'm dubious that agents would use that as leverage.

    Prestige? Yes, I suppose so. But does 21 in 21 sound miles more prestigious than 20 in 21? I don't think so.
    Or to put it another way, all the clubs that have actually won the Champions League have spent fewer consecutive seasons in it than we, who haven't, have*. Except possibly Real Madrid.

    And possibly our best chance of winning the Premier League would be to sack off the European Cup altogether.


    *If you follow me
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

    "But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Would you rather make the CL and get knocked out in the first knockout round or win the EL? What do you think the odds of those two occurrences are? I would think the odds for the former are very strong and that we would be favourites to win the EL.

    We are in no position to denigrate Thu football imo. Only a self-entitled muppet would do that.
    Bored now.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Yes, that's right. My indifference to the CL is in part based on my view that as long as Wenger is our manager we have no chance of winning it..
    You have a better chance of winning it by being in it imho
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •