Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 51

Thread: Open-topped bus parade on the 28th :cloud9:

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Might I make so bold as to clarify something?

    The 'fourth place trophy' idea with which so many like to bash our greatest ever manager stems from a perfectly reasonable comment. He said that fourth place was 'like a trophy', which, indeed, it is, since every club achieving CL qualification celebrates it as a success.

    'Like a trophy'. Not, 'is a trophy'. 'Like a trophy.'

    It takes either an incredibly lazy, or incredibly vindictive mindset to continually beat Arsene around the head by warping a perfectly reasonable comment.

    Carry on.
    *******s. No top club or manager with ambition celebrates fourth place like a trophy. They may even miss out on it once in a blue moon (Chelsea last year) but if they limp in fourth they never celebrate "like a trophy".

    It says everything about the standards Wenger is allowed to get away with and his lack of ambition for our club.
    Last edited by Yesterday Once More; 05-16-2017 at 03:47 PM.
    No statue, no stand named, no testimonial match. He has had his reward for earlier efforts, and then some.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    BTW, now that I've stopped laughing, I'm loving the idea that supporters of one of the ten richest clubs in the world who don't consider avoiding relegation to be trophy have a sense of entitlement that is way out of control.

    That is some seriously top class lunacy/drunkenness right there.
    I'm not sure you understood the point. Obviously not a trophy for us - for other clubs. I was merely expressing the idea that "like a trophy" can mean different things to different teams. Therefore is isn't wrong to say that a top four place is "like a trophy". Every team has different standards of course. If you were in the North Bank in 1996 when Dennis scored against Bolton to secure us fifth place (at Spurs's expense obviously). Probably a better remembered moment than a couple of our cup wins to be honest.

    Interesting that you always have to bring everything down to money though. Just because you happen to support a club that has a lot, why do you feel that entitles you to anything? Not like you contribute anything to that wealth these days

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Yesterday Once More View Post
    *******s. No top club or manager with ambition celebrates fourth place like a trophy. They may even miss out on it once in a blue moon (Chelsea last year) but if they limp in fourth they never celebrate "like a trophy".

    It says everything about the standards Wenger is allowed to get away with and his lack of ambition for our club.
    There is no need for foul language. I recommend that you attempt to expand your vocabulary so that you can express yourself without resorting to vulgarity.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Yesterday Once More View Post
    *******s. No top club or manager with ambition celebrates fourth place like a trophy. They may even miss out on it once in a blue moon (Chelsea last year) but if they limp in fourth they never celebrate "like a trophy".

    It says everything about the standards Wenger is allowed to get away with and his lack of ambition for our club.
    oh do piss off you tedious **** - of course they all celebrate. Not like winning the league but, you know they celebrate, finishing high enough to qualify for the biggest club competition in the world. It's what we do, it's what they do

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    oh do piss off you tedious **** - of course they all celebrate. Not like winning the league but, you know they celebrate, finishing high enough to qualify for the biggest club competition in the world. It's what we do, it's what they do
    I'm a ssuming that was 'tedious twt', because of the pleasing alliteration?

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    BTW, now that I've stopped laughing, I'm loving the idea that supporters of one of the ten richest clubs in the world who don't consider avoiding relegation to be trophy have a sense of entitlement that is way out of control.

    That is some seriously top class lunacy/drunkenness right there.
    The word you are missing there is 'like', WES. It is a simile. It means that there are shared characteristics, not that it is the same thing. A goal to aim at as a sports club that has great rewards attached. Anyway, didn't Pep recently say something about top four being like a trophy? What does he know about success?

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I'm not sure you understood the point. Obviously not a trophy for us - for other clubs. I was merely expressing the idea that "like a trophy" can mean different things to different teams. Therefore is isn't wrong to say that a top four place is "like a trophy". Every team has different standards of course. If you were in the North Bank in 1996 when Dennis scored against Bolton to secure us fifth place (at Spurs's expense obviously). Probably a better remembered moment than a couple of our cup wins to be honest.

    Interesting that you always have to bring everything down to money though. Just because you happen to support a club that has a lot, why do you feel that entitles you to anything? Not like you contribute anything to that wealth these days
    Yes, you're right, I didn't understand your point. Mostly because you didn't do a very good job of making it.

    And I don't think it is a question of entitlement, certainly not in my case, anyway. It is simply basic logic. Money is not the only contributing factor to a team's success (I have made this point many times), but it is an important one. It is therefore logical to make the point that a very rich club, which we clearly are, should not consider avoiding relegation to be an achievement. In fact, in your clarification you make that point as well. Which brings us back to top four not being a trophy which - again - has nothing to do with money, I am simply distinguishing between winning a trophy and accomplishing something which is good for the club. I see a very clear line between those two things.

    And now that we're back there, I have no idea how we got here and now intend to have a lay down and forget the whole thing.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    The word you are missing there is 'like', WES. It is a simile. It means that there are shared characteristics, not that it is the same thing. A goal to aim at as a sports club that has great rewards attached. Anyway, didn't Pep recently say something about top four being like a trophy? What does he know about success?
    Yes, he also said that this season would've got him the sack at either of his previous clubs. But what do they know about trophies. Proper ones, I mean.

    Of course it's better for us to win matches and finish as high as we can but the word "trophy" was a poor choice. In our game, as even M has just pointed out, nothing is like a trophy.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

    "But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    In our game, as even M has just pointed out, nothing is like a trophy.
    Quite right. Amazing how much grief a chap can get from other Arsenal supporters for saying such a thing.

    The power of Wenger, I suppose.
    Last edited by World's End Stella; 05-16-2017 at 04:47 PM.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I'm not sure you understood the point. Obviously not a trophy for us - for other clubs. I was merely expressing the idea that "like a trophy" can mean different things to different teams. Therefore is isn't wrong to say that a top four place is "like a trophy". Every team has different standards of course. If you were in the North Bank in 1996 when Dennis scored against Bolton to secure us fifth place (at Spurs's expense obviously). Probably a better remembered moment than a couple of our cup wins to be honest.

    Interesting that you always have to bring everything down to money though. Just because you happen to support a club that has a lot, why do you feel that entitles you to anything? Not like you contribute anything to that wealth these days
    I agree, what Wenger said wasn't wrong; He was simply wrong to be caught saying it

    Anyway it was Veng Himself that started banging on about money, not us. It's not entitlement, it's merely supporting the club's broad and general plans and schemes.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

    "But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •