Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: I'm confused by the argument being put forward by David Hole in this article about UK

  1. #1

    I'm confused by the argument being put forward by David Hole in this article about UK

    citizens currently living or working in the EU.

    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...live-in-europe

    He's complaining that, post-Brexit, EU citizens living/working in the UK will retain the right to do so in any member states, whereas UK citizens currently living/working in the EU will not.

    How is this news? That's what we voted for you stupid c*nt. You may disagree, and have every right to do so, but the article reads as if he's unearthed some revelatory downside to Brexit that no-one's thought of yet.

    Also, he claims Brexit will force him to live in Germany for the rest of his life and then in virtually the next paragraph he references the fact that he can move back to the UK whenever he wants.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    citizens currently living or working in the EU.

    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...live-in-europe

    He's complaining that, post-Brexit, EU citizens living/working in the UK will retain the right to do so in any member states, whereas UK citizens currently living/working in the EU will not.

    How is this news? That's what we voted for you stupid c*nt. You may disagree, and have every right to do so, but the article reads as if he's unearthed some revelatory downside to Brexit that no-one's thought of yet.

    Also, he claims Brexit will force him to live in Germany for the rest of his life and then in virtually the next paragraph he references the fact that he can move back to the UK whenever he wants.
    Yes, it does rather read as though he hasn't been paying attention and has only just noticed something blindingly obvious.

    I find it odd the way people act as if the freedom of movement thing is a God-given right that has existed since time immemorial rather than something that's been around 20-odd years. The way some people go on, you'd think nobody ever travelled or worked abroad before 1992.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    citizens currently living or working in the EU.

    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...live-in-europe

    He's complaining that, post-Brexit, EU citizens living/working in the UK will retain the right to do so in any member states, whereas UK citizens currently living/working in the EU will not.

    How is this news? That's what we voted for you stupid c*nt. You may disagree, and have every right to do so, but the article reads as if he's unearthed some revelatory downside to Brexit that no-one's thought of yet.

    Also, he claims Brexit will force him to live in Germany for the rest of his life and then in virtually the next paragraph he references the fact that he can move back to the UK whenever he wants.
    He says the two groups are repeatedly slung together as if they are in the same boat. His point is that they are not.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    He says the two groups are repeatedly slung together as if they are in the same boat. His point is that they are not.

    Can these idiots not find an Irish relative somewhere in their bloodline? Surely everyone British must be part Irish by now? They're welcome to have a couple of mine if they want.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Yes, it does rather read as though he hasn't been paying attention and has only just noticed something blindingly obvious.

    I find it odd the way people act as if the freedom of movement thing is a God-given right that has existed since time immemorial rather than something that's been around 20-odd years. The way some people go on, you'd think nobody ever travelled or worked abroad before 1992.
    This is what i don't get. He talks as though he can decide he wants to live in Italy tomorrow and **** off and live there because he's an EU citizen. That's not how it works. You still have to meet certain criteria like having employment in the country. In terms of wanting to live and work in another EU country Brexit means having to look from outside instead of inside the country, which while not as convenient it's not impossible. Millions of people around the world do it.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    He says the two groups are repeatedly slung together as if they are in the same boat. His point is that they are not.
    That's only because the difference between the two boats is so utterly, utterly obvious that there is no reason for it to ever be referenced or acknowledged.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    That's only because the difference between the two boats is so utterly, utterly obvious that there is no reason for it to ever be referenced or acknowledged.
    Ok. I thought his point was obvious but you didn't seem to get it

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Can these idiots not find an Irish relative somewhere in their bloodline? Surely everyone British must be part Irish by now? They're welcome to have a couple of mine if they want.
    I don't seem to have any. My great grandfather claimed to be from Cork but it turns out he was simply a lying, drunken ****.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Ok. I thought his point was obvious but you didn't seem to get it
    I got it. But given how utterly obvious it was, I could only assume I'd missed something.

    Thanks for confirming that I hadn't.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I don't seem to have any. My great grandfather claimed to be from Cork but it turns out he was simply a lying, drunken ****.
    so he was irish then???????
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •