Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: I've never known there to be such a dearth of exciting players in world football.

I've never known there to be such a dearth of exciting players in world football.

Ronaldo and Messi are about 100 and coming through there's... who? Greaseman? Meh. No young Krauts, no young Dutchies. Some kid at Monaco who's scored a few goals this season, whoopydoo. Where's the next Bergkamp, Cruyff, van Basten or Sneijder?

It's a piss-poor outlook and no mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Ronaldo and Messi are about 100 and coming through there's... who? Greaseman? Meh. No young Krauts, no young Dutchies. Some kid at Monaco who's scored a few goals this season, whoopydoo. Where's the next Bergkamp, Cruyff, van Basten or Sneijder?

Not at all. If anything, there's too many of them. That's why, outside Ronaldo and Messi, it all seems so much of a muchness.

I mean, if even we are buying first team players from Barcelona and Real Madrid then that tells you something, doesn't it.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post

Well in the CL final you will have players like Dybala and perhaps in the light of the Bale injury Asensio, both wonderful players.

In Germany the likes of Wiegl, Mor, Dembele and Pulisic and that is at Dortmund alone.

France have Lemar, Mbappe on top of your Pogba or Griezemann or Varane types.

England has Kane, Alli and Sterling. Oh my.

None are a Cruyff nor Bergkamp but as you well know such players don’t come along every day, or even every few years. Cruyff was beyond debate at the top, then Maradona, then Zidane. It is only in recent years we have been spoiled somewhat by two of the very best at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Well in the CL final you will have players like Dybala and perhaps in the light of the Bale injury Asensio, both wonderful players.

In Germany the likes of Wiegl, Mor, Dembele and Pulisic and that is at Dortmund alone.

None are a Cruyff nor Bergkamp but as you well know such players don’t come along every day, or even every few years. Cruyff was beyond debate at the top, then Maradona, then Zidane. It is only in recent years we have been spoiled somewhat by two of the very best at the same time.
    Thank you for this considered and, if I may say, well-informed and educational post. I am grateful to you, sw, and as such it grieves me to have to brand you a Bundesliga-watching deviant

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post

There were two young players I wanted us to sign the other summer; Sane and Dembele. Sane will be a wonderful player, he's already very good. How is Dembele doing?

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    There were two young players I wanted us to sign the other summer; Sane and Dembele. Sane will be a wonderful player, he's already very good. How is Dembele doing?
    The Dortmund one - incredibly frustrating. There is a touch of the Tony Daleys about him in his decision making. Wonderful on his day though - exceptional in the Pokal semi against Bayern