Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ugh! May and Corbyn are going to have a 'Leaders' debate'

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Oh, well in that case fair enough. It'll make feck all difference anyway. I quite liked the thing in the French presidential debate where there was no audience and minimal mediation by the host. Nobody needs the audience clapping like performing seals and getting all puffed up because they're getting to ask a question.
    You want a slanging match? Same here. Just let them the two of them bite at each other. No audience- the public ruin everything, particularly the sort of arsehole that would go to something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    You want a slanging match? Same here. Just let them the two of them bite at each other. No audience- the public ruin everything, particularly the sort of arsehole that would go to something like this.
    Exactly. The sort of self-regarding, subhuman filth who would go to Question Time should be kept as far away from the democratic process as possible. I mean seriously, what sort of a cūnt do you have to be to think to yourself: 'Ooh, Question Time's on near me. I'll sign up for that in the hope of saying something to a politician whilst oozing self-important smugness'. Pricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Technically correct in that those 11 players all took part but Nelson was sub - controversially dropped for John Devine. Then arguably more controversially made the 12th man meaning when we were looking for a game changer we were faced with just swapping left backs. I was 8 and could tell that was a bad move
    The theory was that Sammy could get forward more than John
    10 characters? Pile of cund.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Exactly. The sort of self-regarding, subhuman filth who would go to Question Time should be kept as far away from the democratic process as possible. I mean seriously, what sort of a cūnt do you have to be to think to yourself: 'Ooh, Question Time's on near me. I'll sign up for that in the hope of saying something to a politician whilst oozing self-important smugness'. Pricks.
    Which is why Tony Benn was always good fun on there as he would happily tell them they were idiots.

I remember one bloke saying they chop your hand off in Singapore for stealing something (they don't) which is why they don't have any crime. Benn said "Well they don't have democracy in Singapore either, perhaps you'd like to try that as well and we wouldn't have to listen to your opinions"

A very childish answer, obviously. Shut the **** up though

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Which is why Tony Benn was always good fun on there as he would happily tell them they were idiots.

I remember one bloke saying they chop your hand off in Singapore for stealing something (they don't) which is why they don't have any crime. Benn said "Well they don't have democracy in Singapore either, perhaps you'd like to try that as well and we wouldn't have to listen to your opinions"

A very childish answer, obviously. Shut the **** up though
    Odd, really, given that Kommissar Benn was such a fan (paid pawn) of the decidedly undemocratic Soviet Union.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Odd, really, given that Kommissar Benn was such a fan (paid pawn) of the decidedly undemocratic Soviet Union.
    The Bollinger Bolshevik

Quote Originally Posted by Viva Prat Vegas View Post
    The theory was that Sammy could get forward more than John
    Well yes - the substitution on the circumstances made sense - it was more why have a 31-year-old full back on the bench rather than someone who might change things or at least celebrated wildly like Steve Walford the year previously. I might be remembering wrongly but Neill was heavily criticised as people thought Nelson being on the bench was a sop to an old friend having dropped him from the first XI. We were **** that day anyway not sure it would have made a lot of difference

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Is there any evidence that he was paid by the USSR? It was an accusation frequently thrown at people on the left, usually on a somewhat unsubstantiated basis.

He was passionate about parliamentary democracy though, and the whole process of clawing power off the elite, from Magna Carta to the Chartists and Suffragettes. Had he been around to help lead the Leave campaign from a democratic and self-determination perspective it would have been a more decisive victory, and less open to the nasty accusations of xenophobia etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Well yes - the substitution on the circumstances made sense - it was more why have a 31-year-old full back on the bench rather than someone who might change things or at least celebrated wildly like Steve Walford the year previously. I might be remembering wrongly but Neill was heavily criticised as people thought Nelson being on the bench was a sop to an old friend having dropped him from the first XI. We were **** that day anyway not sure it would have made a lot of difference
    Yes
    Terry was too soft because Sammy was fit but John had impressed when filling in and so wanted both of them to be in the 12 on the day
    I guess the manager predicted a comfortable win against a 2nd Division side and with that in mind saw room for sentiment by keeping both John and Sammy happy
    I like your Walford joke
    Energetic John Hollins or young Paul Vaessen might have been less stupid substitute options
    10 characters? Pile of cund.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva Prat Vegas View Post
    Yes
    Terry was too soft because Sammy was fit but John had impressed when filling in and so wanted both of them to be in the 12 on the day
    I guess the manager predicted a comfortable win against a 2nd Division side and with that in mind saw room for sentiment by keeping both John and Sammy happy
    I like your Walford joke
    Energetic John Hollins or young Paul Vaessen might have been less stupid substitute options
    Walford was no laughing matter. The useless Spurs **** came on at 2-0 and within moments it was 2-2.