Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Two young men have walked into the pub, got their drinks and started playing Scrabble

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    They do indeed, and I am a fan of the Coronet. Trouble is, snobby spastics refuse to go to 'spoonies because they hate mixing with the oiks.
    I have been to such an establishment three times in my life:

1. A Tuesday afternoon, around 3 p.m. Swindon. Two Irish were scrapping in the middle of the floor. No one batted an eye. I left.
    2. South Croydon, with b. I saw people eat... matter. Unidentifiable stuff which came from a microwave.
    3. Some place near the Angel, late on a Saturday night. There were drunken Irish and I had an argument with a bin man.

Go on. Call me a snobby spastic.

They do indeed, and I am a fan of the Coronet. Though snobby spastics refuse to go to 'spoonies because they hate mixing with the oiks.
    I used to like The Toll Gate in Turnpike Lane and The Olde Suffolk Punch on Green Lanes.

Stop off after work, quick Ploughmans to tick a box and stay there until closing time.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    What if we are the generation that didn't have to fight in a conscript war? We wont be able to lecture anybody when we are old
    I know. Mind you, my boomer parents didn't either. They just nicked all the final salary pensions.

Quote Originally Posted by 71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat View Post
    Pfft. A fine selection of ales and almost edible food.
    That's the thing. Not only is there a good selection but there is a fast turnover of barrels, so the beer is generally fresh as well as inexpensive. And people turn their noses up at this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I have been to such an establishment three times in my life:

1. A Tuesday afternoon, around 3 p.m. Swindon. Two Irish were scrapping in the middle of the floor. No one batted an eye. I left.
    2. South Croydon, with b. I saw people eat... matter. Unidentifiable stuff which came from a microwave.
    3. Some place near the Angel, late on a Saturday night. There were drunken Irish and I had an argument with a bin man.

Go on. Call me a snobby spastic.
    I got to like The Sir Julian Huxley. They served a decent Rioja at a reasonable price and I was on first name terms with the barmaid 'Ange'.

They do indeed, and I am a fan of the Coronet.
    I was in the White Swan the other week. It'll be a long while before I go back, imo.

And that McDonalds next door has to be the worst in London. Their ability to make the menu items utterly unrecognisable is borderline genius.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    The Olde Suffolk Punch on Green Lanes.

That's the thing. Not only is there a good selection but there is a fast turnover of barrels, so the beer is generally fresh as well as inexpensive. And people turn their noses up at this.
    They've just agreed to allow proper nouns.
    And they're still nowhere near the halfway point of their pints.

Should I strike them, do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I know. Mind you, my boomer parents didn't either. They just nicked all the final salary pensions.

They had the aftermath though- rubble in the streets, mentally scared parents and rationing. I grew up with the Stones and the Who. I can hardly moan about the winter of discontent since my lot caused it.

Some fine buildings as well - there is one in the City which is lovely (and importantly kept very well). The island bar can be a nightmare to get served at though