Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: HRH the DoE retiring from public engagements.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post

Turning for the second run was no picnic either.
    That's what boundaries are for, P

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    That's what boundaries are for, P
    They are harder to reach when you cant drive properly. I started to rely on runs shovelled through the on side. I am still ashamed to admit it.....

Still, its not as if I was the biggest hitter or the fastest scorer to begin with. It was a bit like Per losing a yard of pace

It was a bit like Per losing a yard of pace
    Explain, please. I *think* I know what you mean but ..
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    I struggle to see the symbiotic nature of the royals and the public. They live in a big ****ing house in a prime bit of London, which is merely one of their properties, paid for by the public of which some get to wave at them occasionally.

I suppose tourists do wander around Green Park waiting for some very expensive military ceremony to take place on the royal's ****ing doorstep, but other than that . . .

I'm afraid we'll have to disagree on this one, b.
    Yet despite all this, the remain enduringly popular. With the public
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Explain, please. I *think* I know what you mean but ..
    The weakening of something that has never been your strength.

The weakening of something that has never been your strength.
    Right. Got it.

However, I would just say that just because it may be acceptable that a particular trait has never been a strength, it is a different matter entirely if it actually becomes a weakness.

Or as my son put it the other day, a slow footballer should *never* be found wanting for pace #premierleague

That might be tested when the new fella eventually gets to the crease. Unless by then he has been coached to avoid the silly stuff and play with a straight bat, of course.

I have never seen the point of them, but then again I am not “the public” you refer to.

While I get that you have a King and Queen, and a next in line, it is all the other useless saps that I see referred to that I don’t get.

Your Andrews and the other lad, the bints they marry who become some titled so and so, their offspring who I expect are hideous characters. Harry is another one, not sure why anybody gives a flying **** about these people.

And I expect they are mostly all propped up by your taxes?

They are harder to reach when you cant drive properly. I started to rely on runs shovelled through the on side. I am still ashamed to admit it.....

Still, its not as if I was the biggest hitter or the fastest scorer to begin with. It was a bit like Per losing a yard of pace
    I certainly hit in the air far more as I got older and the pitch of the ball got that bit further away. Of course I compensated by purchasing a rather expensive and heavy bat that meant I always had a good chance of a/ getting it over the in-field and b/ reaching the boundary.

The really depressing thing was last season when I found that my ability to pick up the length of the ball had slowed to alarming proportions and I was constantly finding myself neither back nor forward.

Time to stop anything resembling serious cricket, I fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    That might be tested when the new fella eventually gets to the crease. Unless by then he has been coached to avoid the silly stuff and play with a straight bat, of course.
    Sure, but they've seen worse. And that's actually the point; their enduring appeal is a reminder that our society is an ancient, strong and dignified one and was *not* focus-grouped and spin-doctored into existence yesterday by Wolverhampton Polytechnic political science undergraduates.