Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I quite like voting in local elections. It's nice and quiet and the officials look

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Depends. Is he a tory? In which case I'll vote for him. Otherwise, no.
    I don't really see why policing needs to be politicised. Get out on the beat and enforce the law, nick people as appropriate and leave the rest of us alone.

I assume police forces have sufficient management structures. Why would I want to pay some berk to interfere in it?

In instances like these I start to believe in small government.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Is a local election not the same as a General Election where one is voting for one’s local MP, or TD in my case?

As you will see from the above I am not big on the whole politics thing.

I have only ever voted twice in my life, the first time I simply ticked all the catholic boxes and the last most recent time I got very confused as the people I was being asked to vote for I did not recognise from any of the posters on the lamp posts so just ticked 3-4 at random.
    Local elections elect Local Councils. Speed humps, street lighting and binmen. Not exactly the work of great statesmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Local elections elect Local Councils. Speed humps, street lighting and binmen. Not exactly the work of great statesmen.
    Councillors?

Do good know nothing ****s to a man.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Councillors?

Do good know nothing ****s to a man.
    You're thinking of 'counsellors', I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    You're thinking of 'counsellors', I think.
    Yeah, they never do anybody any good, apart from the weak and feeble minded who are simply in need of a stiff upper lip.

Am I getting warm?

Yeah, they never do anybody any good, apart from the weak and feeble minded who are simply in need of a stiff upper lip.

Am I getting warm?
    It's like food banks, isn't it? Human beings are, by nature, weak and lazy. Put an easy option on the table and they'll flock to it.

"Boo hoo I'm all miserable and I want lots of sympathy and attention, I'll go to a counsellor!"

What a waste of fúcking time, energy and money.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    It's like food banks, isn't it? Human beings are, by nature, weak and lazy. Put an easy option on the table and they'll flock to it.

"Boo hoo I'm all miserable and I want lots of sympathy and attention, I'll go to a counsellor!"

What a waste of fúcking time, energy and money.
    Virtually every teenager these days will tell you they have mental health problems. Why? Because they've been brainwashed into believing that that is not only an option, but a desirable thing by idiotic teachers.

Virtually every teenager these days will tell you they have mental health problems. Why? Because they've been brainwashed into believing that that is not only an option, but a desirable thing by idiotic teachers.
    I blame the Big Society an all that. In my day people just got on with it....

I blame the Big Society an all that. In my day people just got on with it....
    Sorry, no. The infantilisation of society was a phenomenon of which your chum Anthony Charles Lynton was the harbinger. Dressed up as a caring antidote to hard-hearted Thatcherism, his governments in fact encouraged people to abdicate responsibility for themselves and let the state take over. This state-knows-best attitude was then used open the door to increased state interference in private and public behaviour and discourse, culminating in the draconian state policing of language and behaviour we have today.

Sorry, no. The infantilisation of society was a phenomenon of which your chum Anthony Charles Lynton was the harbinger. Dressed up as a caring antidote to hard-hearted Thatcherism, his governments in fact encouraged people to abdicate responsibility for themselves and let the state take over. This state-knows-best attitude was then used open the door to increased state interference in private and public behaviour and discourse, culminating in the draconian state policing of language and behaviour we have today.
    Woolly, unsubstantiated *******s.