Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: So Wenger says that we were 'very, very close' to signing Mbappe. Isn't it annoying

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Fewer, but that is not the point.

Is that really the measure of success for our transfer activity? We were able to field 11 players every week?
    See my reply to Berni on the former point.

On the latter, I assume that is a major purpose of the squad - you were speaking numerically by saying we were short, which isn't true

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    An Italian team is three centre backs and who cares how many others (as long as one is the referee)
    Right. And in Catalonia, the referee tends to occupy the midfield ball-winner role.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

On the latter, I assume that is a major purpose of the squad - you were speaking numerically by saying we were short, which isn't true
    Even if it weren't wrong (which it definitely is), it would still be ugly. 'Less people'? Fûck off imo.

It's perfectly acceptable to say that whatever the dwindling band of pedants who wish to appear clever would like to claim.

"Less has been used with countables for about a thousand years — pretty much the entire history of written English. The very notion of a neat distinction between fewer and less according to whether the noun is countable or not is a myth. It was invented out of whole cloth by an ill- informed 18th-century pedant called Robert Baker in his book Reflections on the English Language (1770). He proposed this distinction not as a hard-and-fast rule of grammar, moreover, but as a tentative suggestion with caveats (“I should think . . . it appears to me . . . ”) that you won’t find in modern style guides."
    How about plurals taking apostrophes? Is that acceptable in your Neuesweltordnung, la?

Don't think I'll forget. I'll never forget what you have done.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    If you have the money, you *must* spend it. I just said

It doesn't much matter what rubbish you spend it on, because merely spending it is "like a trophy". Wives use this reasoning while visiting manoloblahnik.com
    Point of order; wives are different in this matter. The money must be spent whether you have it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Point of order; wives are different in this matter. The money must be spent whether you have it or not.
    No different to football supporters, imo.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

I will accept your pedantry on point 2 if you accept mine on point 1. Sound fair?