Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So Wenger says that we were 'very, very close' to signing Mbappe. Isn't it annoying

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    To be fair Richard I think you will find most clubs could run off such a list and I think you have only just scratched the surface there with those names listed.

The issue may be that Wenger does seem to go public on such nearly incidents, or perhaps we only notice his stories as would be less inclined to read stories relevant to other teams.

This morning's Mbappe story merely made me chuckle.
    We can also comfort ourselves in the knowledge that if we had signed them, Wenger would have ruined them. Mbappe would currently be on loan at West Brom, warming the bench. Or injured.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    I agree with you.... in effect it might make us focus on young players who haven't yet made it and have a bit of a punt on them... of course it all depends on who is the manager. I'm not expecting much for the next 2 or 3 seasons
    Quite exciting all the same.

Let's be honest our groundhog day seasons have become as boring as fúck.

Quite exciting all the same.

Let's be honest our groundhog day seasons have become as boring as fúck.
    You think Wenger is going to leave?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    You think Wenger is going to leave?
    No, but even the new experience of EL football instead of simply making up the numbers in the CL is different.

I also think there is a reasonable chance that given likely player departures coupled with very likely aggressive strengthening by most of our peers that next season could be more challenging than normal/recent.

That is exciting. I embrace change, you don't.

I believe the correct term is "simples" though I am not 100% certain.
    Last edited by SWv2; 05-04-2017 at 08:35 AM.

No, but even the new experience of EL football instead of simply making up the numbers in the CL is different.

I also think there is a reasonable chance that given likely player departures coupled with very likely aggressive strengthening by most of our peers that next season could be more challenging than normal/recent.

We will have to target different players (perhaps younger and less established) and will also get to play teams that we haven't seen for some time (or never played before).... Change can be good in the long run
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Nobody is more positive about change than me. I agree, it will be nice to be officially **** for a change. Would prefer Wenger to go but I know deep down is probably isn't going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    We will have to target different players (perhaps younger and less established) and will also get to play teams that we haven't seen for some time (or never played before).... Change can be good in the long run
    This is one of my bigger concerns with our recent spending. In Mustafi and Perez we paid 50 million for two players who would have been available for next to nothing 18 months earlier. The old Wenger would not have needed to see Kante play for Leicester for a year before deciding he wants him.

He built the initial success mainly on signing players who sat outside or below the focus of the bigger clubs. We don't seem to make these types of signings now.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    This is one of my bigger concerns with our recent spending. In Mustafi and Perez we paid 50 million for two players who would have been available for next to nothing 18 months earlier. The old Wenger would not have needed to see Kante play for Leicester for a year before deciding he wants him.

He built the initial success mainly on signing players who sat outside or below the focus of the bigger clubs. We don't seem to make these types of signings now.
    Yaya Sanogo?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I answered your Amsterdam query with some excellent information, you ungrateful bástard.
    Didn't I thank you?! I thought I did - how remiss of me. Apologies.

I shall certainly pay the Dutch place you mentioned a visit. Will let you know how I get on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Didn't I thank you?! I thought I did - how remiss of me. Apologies.

I shall certainly pay the Dutch place you mentioned a visit. Will let you know how I get on.
    You'll want the Suikerbrood followed by the suckling pig. No dessert, you're not a fúcking child.