Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dear God. Is there anything these people wouldn't tax given a chance?

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    They don't believe that; they just want your money. Or at least, they want you *not* to have it.

Convincing everyone not to have children was genius really, as it took away the main reason, or injunction, anybody had to fight against high taxation, low wages and long working hours.
    Oh, but they do. At least the younger, idealistic ones do. They actually think that, by taking your money away and giving it to the state, we will end up with a happier, healthier and wealthier society. I mean yes, it's motivated by the initial desire to take your wealth away, but that doesn't mean they don't genuinely believe that the state is best placed to provide despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Oh, but they do. At least the younger, idealistic ones do. They actually think that, by taking your money away and giving it to the state, we will end up with a happier, healthier and wealthier society. I mean yes, it's motivated by the initial desire to take your wealth away, but that doesn't mean they don't genuinely believe that the state is best placed to provide despite all the evidence to the contrary.
    I have a 70something acquaintance who genuinely believes Labour are going to win the election and Jezza will build a better more equal society. If only there were cheap care homes we could put these people in

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I have a 70something acquaintance who genuinely believes Labour are going to win the election and Jezza will build a better more equal society. If only there were cheap care homes we could put these people in
    They're like cultists predicting the rapture. And, like such cultists, on June 9th (or, more accurately at about 10.30pm on June 8th), when it is apparent they were horribly wrong, they will explain this failure as being due not them being wrong, but to a lack of faith on the part of others.

They're like cultists predicting the rapture. And, like such cultists, on June 9th (or, more accurately at about 10.30pm on June 8th), when it is apparent they were horribly wrong, they will explain this failure as being due not them being wrong, but to a lack of faith on the part of others.
    Indeed - it was the mainstream media wot did it of course

Oh, young people are stupid; it doesn't matter what they think. They don't have any money either and until they do, they won't hope to understand. It's actually everybody else that's the trouble.

As I say, the only reason you fight for the money in your own pocket is because you have, or demand to have, a stake in the future and a personal responsibility for that future. No children, means no future anyway so therefore, what difference does it make how much of your cash they take away from you and what they spend it on. What does anybody care so long as you have successfully avoided responsibility for the consequences by not having children.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I think it is children that have persuaded people not to have children, tbf.
    I don't see that. Presumably you were a children, or child anyway, and you turned out alright. Why would you imagine children were a bad thing, if not for the reasons I've outlined?

Of course, naturally, I too believe children are bad, which is why the sensitive man has as little to do with them as possible; as we agreed before, that's what wives are for. However, that is, imo, no excuse for actually not having them.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

Of course all that means is that we'll have to get used to being taxed by tories instead, but hey-ho.
    Well, quite. Precisely. It's unavoidable now.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    I don't see that. Presumably you were a children, or child anyway, and you turned out alright. Why would you imagine children were a bad thing, if not for the reasons I've outlined?

Of course, naturally, I too believe children are bad, which is why the sensitive man has as little to do with them as possible; as we agreed before, that's what wives are for. However, that is, imo, no excuse for actually not having them.
    My dear old dad used to advise me as a small child: "Never have kids, Ash. They're a nightmare and a millstone round your neck. If I hadn't had kids I'd have a villa in the south of France by now."

Sound advice, really. Especially as I struggle to even look after myself properly, let alone anyone else.

A 'wealth tax', in God's name! Heaven forfend people should be able to spend the money they've earned in order to help their kids.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ity-capitalism
    Inheritance tax to 90%?? FFS......

I can't say I would view my parents' house as unearned wealth. They mortgaged themselves up to their eyeballs in their late 30s and worked like lunatics for 20 years to pay for it. Not only is it not unearned, but the earnings that paid for it were also taxed.

I haven't see a penny of it (and quite right too) but if I had, purely to help with a first deposit, that apparently would have made me some kind of middle class ****.

****ing Guardian

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Inheritance tax to 90%?? FFS......

I can't say I would view my parents' house as unearned wealth. They mortgaged themselves up to their eyeballs in their late 30s and worked like lunatics for 20 years to pay for it. Not only is it not unearned, but the earnings that paid for it were also taxed.

I haven't see a penny of it (and quite right too) but if I had, purely to help with a first deposit, that apparently would have made me some kind of middle class ****.

****ing Guardian
    Peter. I can't help feeling that you're ready to step out of the darkness of schoolboy liberalism, into the daylight of middle-aged reactionary conservatism.

Here. Take my hand. Step into the light.