Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did He get the selection right on Wednesday?

Did He get the selection right on Wednesday?

Well yes, obviously, because we won - but we only just.

Of course, it was only the champions with their terrible away record, and we had to rotate between two big games, but taking two of the best players from the previous game out and moving a third to a different position (Ox, Holding, Monreal) did seem a bit much. Also, Coq and Theo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Well yes, obviously, because we won - but we only just.

Of course, it was only the champions with their terrible away record, and we had to rotate between two big games, but taking two of the best players from the previous game out and moving a third to a different position (Ox, Holding, Monreal) did seem a bit much. Also, Coq and Theo.
    I assume Holding had a knock as he wasn't even on the bench. Ox also left Wembley on crutches and besides Bellerin looked sharper than he has for some time and was arguably our best player. I thought he kept changes to an absolute minimal. If he had played the same side and we had stuttered people would be complaining he played a tired team

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I assume Holding had a knock as he wasn't even on the bench. Ox also left Wembley on crutches and besides Bellerin looked sharper than he has for some time and was arguably our best player. I thought he kept changes to an absolute minimal. If he had played the same side and we had stuttered people would be complaining he played a tired team
    In fairness, Wenger is the one who tends to complain about the tiredness. Most of the rest of us can't understand why professional footballers can't play two games in a week for their three hundert million pounds per week or whatever it is.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    In fairness, Wenger is the one who tends to complain about the tiredness. Most of the rest of us can't understand why professional footballers can't play two games in a week for their three hundert million pounds per week or whatever it is.
    Indeed. How many hares can a dog chase in a week?

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Indeed. How many hares can a dog chase in a week?
    For *that*money? As many as you like, imo.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    They can play two games in a week. They will just be a bit more tired than a team that hasn't.

Theo up front surprised me, the rest didn't. Wasn't surprised by Holding, perhaps he doesn't want to stretch him too much at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Theo up front surprised me, the rest didn't. Wasn't surprised by Holding, perhaps he doesn't want to stretch him too much at this stage.
    Coquelin was the worst one imo. Three at the back and you're at home to a side parking the bus and playing on the counter.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    They can play two games in a week. They will just be a bit more tired than a team that hasn't.
    Exactly. No excuse for not winning.

I would imagine the addition of extra-time on Sunday forced his hand somewhat.

Further there is an argument that he has to see Bellerin in the new formation.