Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The problem with Sunday is that, points wise, a draw is unhelpful to our top 4 chance

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    You are correct that we are entirely incapable of playing for a draw. However, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of us getting something out of the game by any means. How many NLDs have you watched over the years where the gulf in class and league position was much bigger between the teams than it is now that have ended up either being attritional draws or going against form?
    Also, the occasion might get to them. Last NL derby at the existing Lane, chance to finish above us for the first time in two decades, title hopes in the balance. They have shown no sign of bottling it yet, but this is another big test in that regard for a team of players who have won f*ck all in their careers so far.

If Chelsea can just sneak a win at Goodison it will relax by sphincter no end.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    A draw would be fantastic. Its quite funny that you still believe we are capable of playing for one

They are going to hammer us. Coming away with anything would be wonderful and the top four would require a miracle. With United, Stoke and Southampton still to come it would be a miracle if we reach 70 points.

Unfortunately, they are light years ahead of us at the moment.
    Thanks for your contribution.

You are correct that we are entirely incapable of playing for a draw. However, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of us getting something out of the game by any means. How many NLDs have you watched over the years where the gulf in class and league position was much bigger between the teams than it is now that have ended up either being attritional draws or going against form?
    Or as the old cliche put it: form goes out the window in the NLD.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Also, the occasion might get to them. Last NL derby at the existing Lane, chance to finish above us for the first time in two decades, title hopes in the balance. They have shown no sign of bottling it yet, but this is another big test in that regard for a team of players who have won f*ck all in their careers so far.

If Chelsea can just sneak a win at Goodison it will relax by sphincter no end.
    Doesn't a Spurs win also confirm that they finish above us? A chance to gloat in front of us.....

I feel a bit sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Doesn't a Spurs win also confirm that they finish above us? A chance to gloat in front of us.....

I feel a bit sick.
    I'm relatively relaxed about it, actually. I'm of the view that if we can avoid the nightmare scenario of them winning the league then their bragging will feel somewhat hollow, even if we lose to them, finish outside the top 4 and lose the cup final. And I'm currently comforted psychologically by the assumption that Chelsea won't let it slip from this point. That could obviously change quickly, but for now I am staying calm.

I'm relatively relaxed about it, actually. I'm of the view that if we can avoid the nightmare scenario of them winning the league then their bragging will feel somewhat hollow, even if we lose to them, finish outside the top 4 and lose the cup final. And I'm currently comforted psychologically by the assumption that Chelsea won't let it slip from this point. That could obviously change quickly, but for now I am staying calm.
    If you think this is bad, just think how awful it would've been if we'd had to play them in the Cup Final with them potentially going for the Double.

If you think this is bad, just think how awful it would've been if we'd had to play them in the Cup Final with them potentially going for the Double.
    For those of us occasionally seduced by the notion that we might actually hate Chelsea more than Spurs, this season has been a sobering reality-check.

I am clinging to the hope that Pochettino will get offered a better job soon and Spurs will go back to appointing crap managers. If we can just get through this year and next without them winning the league.....and if we can just scrape a draw this weekend.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    For those of us occasionally seduced by the notion that we might actually hate Chelsea more than Spurs, this season has been a sobering reality-check.
    You can't hate anybody more than Spurs. It is part of the oath you swear when you sign up.

It has been a long time since we needed to put any energy into hating Spurs

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Exactly. Anyone arguing that has to my mind got the wrong end of the whole Arsenal-supporting stick if you ask me.

I think most sane Arsenal would happily take losing the Cup final to Chelsea and thus giving them the double over Tottenham winning anything at all.