Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Is Theresa May really going to spend the next six weeks repeating the terms 'strong

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    ..how stupid people are.
    And, by implication, how clever we ourselves are. There's nothing wrong with it really, so long as one doesn't get caught believing one's own intelligence necessarily makes others stupid.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Interesting that you look for the positives in people. I think, to some extent, we all do. If I am forced to have a conversation with someone I don't know then the natural reaction is to find common ground and talk about something where you can both make a contribution to the conversation. To do the opposite and start talking about something that upsets or completely sidelines the other person would be an odd way to behave.

I think we all try and interact with what we see as he positives in other people, it is just that some of us don't like to admit it.

For one thing, it sounds a bit gay
    Well, I should qualify my position by saying that as an introvert I often avoid talking to people at all, and there are some people I absolutely do not want to have a conversation with as it is all too awkward, but where it matters (the workplace) to make interactions with people I am quite personable and seek to establish good relations by looking for people's qualities. The only people I am likely to characterise as stupid are salesmen, for thinking that I might fall for their bullshít

If that's gay then so be it but I should remind you that there is nothing wrong with being gay in twenty-seventen, young man.

Well, I should qualify my position by saying that as an introvert I often avoid talking to people at all, and there are some people I absolutely do not want to have a conversation with as it is all too awkward, but where it matters (the workplace) to make interactions with people I am quite personable and seek to establish good relations by looking for people's qualities. The only people I am likely to characterise as stupid are salesmen, for thinking that I might fall for their bullshít

If that's gay then so be it but I should remind you that there is nothing wrong with being gay in twenty-seventen, young man.
    Ah, but salesmen don't judge, do they. The fact is that some people will fall for their bull**** and its their job to believe that you might be one of them. A good salesman convinces himself and you. He isn't stupid.....

As much as I want to hate people, I don't. Through work I have discovered that I am actually far better than most as establishing relationships with them and getting them onside. I reserve the right to despise them personally, and myself.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    And, by implication, how clever we ourselves are. There's nothing wrong with it really, so long as one doesn't get caught believing one's own intelligence necessarily makes others stupid.
    Or that one's own intelligence makes one interesting to other people, funny, right, attractive to the opposite sex, and immune from getting one's ****ing round in.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    I agree that there's an imbalance, but you can't say I am somehow reluctant or unwilling to talk about people whom I respect intellectually. Whenever I have cause to do so, I will promote or talk about something or someone I admire. If, for example, by mentioning the wonderful Sam Harris in a recent post, I learned that a few Awimbers had googled him and discovered his work, I would be absolutely delighted.
    I have binged him and bookmarked his blog.

Ok, so you can respect those who have achieved great things in philosophy and neuroscience. Less so ordinary folk, pehaps.

I have binged him and bookmarked his blog.

Ok, so you can respect those who have achieved great things in philosophy and neuroscience. Less so ordinary folk, pehaps.
    There are a number of "ordinary folk" who post on Awimb that I respect (and who I consider smarter than me) and have openly said so. So there's one data point to refute your claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Ah, but salesmen don't judge, do they. The fact is that some people will fall for their bull**** and its their job to believe that you might be one of them. A good salesman convinces himself and you. He isn't stupid.....

As much as I want to hate people, I don't. Through work I have discovered that I am actually far better than most as establishing relationships with them and getting them onside. I reserve the right to despise them personally, and myself.
    I think the problem with salesmen is that they think (yes, I know it is their job) that I am stupid enough to believe their bollix, so am forced in return to think that they are stupid to think that I am that stupid.

Of course, Monty could be right and that deep down I do generally think people are stupid, but a strongly-developed layer of morality disapproves of such sneering, arrogant condescenion by covering it up with a fog of warm respect. I doubt it, though. i don't think I'm clever enough to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    There are a number of "ordinary folk" who post on Awimb that I respect (and who I consider smarter than me) and have openly said so. So there's one data point to refute your claim.
    Burney is NOT ordinary folk....

I think the problem with salesmen is that they think (yes, I know it is their job) that I am stupid enough to believe their bollix, so am forced in return to think that they are stupid to think that I am that stupid.

Of course, Monty could be right and that deep down I do generally think people are stupid, but a strongly-developed layer of morality disapproves of such sneering, arrogant condescenion by covering it up with a fog of warm respect. I doubt it, though. i don't think I'm clever enough to do that.
    Or maybe you have just matured and realised that the fact that somebody might be a bit stupid doesn't mean you are required to dislike them or look down your nose at them. I know some fairly stupid people that are great fun. I value that......

Its a salesman's job to believe that either you are stupid enough or they are brilliant enough to convince someone that isn't stupid. Delusion seems to be an important part of the role which is why self-aware people like the two of us would never be great at it.

Its also why we get our round in (I am assuming you do)

Here's an example: Ten years ago I was screwed over on a property deal. The value of that loss to me is now nearly a quarter of a million pounds.

They clearly did well for themselves there.
    And he's helped you avoid nearly a quarter of a million pounds worth of bother.

It all depends on perspective, don't it.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."