Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Theresa May really going to spend the next six weeks repeating the terms 'strong

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    You can't disagree with misanthropy. It may simply be that my sensibilities are offended by stupidity more than yours.

I don't believe that you genuinely feel that most people are not stupid. We both engage in the real world every day and we will both have developed reliable techniques for discerning the levels of intelligence of people that we meet. Sometimes we will underestimate or overestimate, but generally our instincts will not be far off the mark.

It is blindingly obvious that most people do not place importance on the critical thinking required to be a truly intelligent person (beyond IQ and General Intelligence) and instead focus their attentions on other things, some of which are of great value both to themselves and others and some that are not.
    We're all stupid. Just stupid in different ways. Doesn't seem to be much point in getting all out of shape about it. When I meet and interact with people I don't try to identify how stupid they are, but in which ways they are intelligent or interesting or attractive. We just have very different priorities, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    We're all stupid. Just stupid in different ways. Doesn't seem to be much point in getting all out of shape about it. When I meet and interact with people I don't try to identify how stupid they are, but in which ways they are intelligent or interesting or attractive. We just have very different priorities, it seems.
    It sounds like our priorities are pretty much the same to me.

"We will both have developed reliable techniques for discerning the levels of intelligence of people that we meet."

"When I meet and interact with people I don't try to identify how stupid they are, but in which ways they are intelligent [...]"

It sounds like our priorities are pretty much the same to me.

"We will both have developed reliable techniques for discerning the levels of intelligence of people that we meet."

"When I meet and interact with people I don't try to identify how stupid they are, but in which ways they are intelligent [...]"
    You have missed my point and twisted my words, my friend.

There are various ways of being intelligent, and various ways of being stupid. I try to look for the positives in people. (Even the capitalists and their lickspittle running dogs!) If you do the same, you don't talk about it much on here. I only see you banging the drum about about how stupid people are.

There are various ways of being intelligent, and various ways of being stupid. I try to look for the positives in people. (Even the capitalists and their lickspittle running dogs!) If you do the same, you don't talk about it much on here. I only see you banging the drum about about how stupid people are.
    Interesting that you look for the positives in people. I think, to some extent, we all do. If I am forced to have a conversation with someone I don't know then the natural reaction is to find common ground and talk about something where you can both make a contribution to the conversation. To do the opposite and start talking about something that upsets or completely sidelines the other person would be an odd way to behave.

I think we all try and interact with what we see as he positives in other people, it is just that some of us don't like to admit it.

For one thing, it sounds a bit gay

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Interesting that you look for the positives in people. I think, to some extent, we all do. If I am forced to have a conversation with someone I don't know then the natural reaction is to find common ground and talk about something where you can both make a contribution to the conversation. To do the opposite and start talking about something that upsets or completely sidelines the other person would be an odd way to behave.

I think we all try and interact with what we see as he positives in other people, it is just that some of us don't like to admit it.

For one thing, it sounds a bit gay
    Well, I should qualify my position by saying that as an introvert I often avoid talking to people at all, and there are some people I absolutely do not want to have a conversation with as it is all too awkward, but where it matters (the workplace) to make interactions with people I am quite personable and seek to establish good relations by looking for people's qualities. The only people I am likely to characterise as stupid are salesmen, for thinking that I might fall for their bullshít

If that's gay then so be it but I should remind you that there is nothing wrong with being gay in twenty-seventen, young man.

Well, I should qualify my position by saying that as an introvert I often avoid talking to people at all, and there are some people I absolutely do not want to have a conversation with as it is all too awkward, but where it matters (the workplace) to make interactions with people I am quite personable and seek to establish good relations by looking for people's qualities. The only people I am likely to characterise as stupid are salesmen, for thinking that I might fall for their bullshít

If that's gay then so be it but I should remind you that there is nothing wrong with being gay in twenty-seventen, young man.
    Ah, but salesmen don't judge, do they. The fact is that some people will fall for their bull**** and its their job to believe that you might be one of them. A good salesman convinces himself and you. He isn't stupid.....

As much as I want to hate people, I don't. Through work I have discovered that I am actually far better than most as establishing relationships with them and getting them onside. I reserve the right to despise them personally, and myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Ah, but salesmen don't judge, do they. The fact is that some people will fall for their bull**** and its their job to believe that you might be one of them. A good salesman convinces himself and you. He isn't stupid.....

As much as I want to hate people, I don't. Through work I have discovered that I am actually far better than most as establishing relationships with them and getting them onside. I reserve the right to despise them personally, and myself.
    I think the problem with salesmen is that they think (yes, I know it is their job) that I am stupid enough to believe their bollix, so am forced in return to think that they are stupid to think that I am that stupid.

Of course, Monty could be right and that deep down I do generally think people are stupid, but a strongly-developed layer of morality disapproves of such sneering, arrogant condescenion by covering it up with a fog of warm respect. I doubt it, though. i don't think I'm clever enough to do that.

I agree that there's an imbalance, but you can't say I am somehow reluctant or unwilling to talk about people whom I respect intellectually. Whenever I have cause to do so, I will promote or talk about something or someone I admire. If, for example, by mentioning the wonderful Sam Harris in a recent post, I learned that a few Awimbers had googled him and discovered his work, I would be absolutely delighted.

I agree that there's an imbalance, but you can't say I am somehow reluctant or unwilling to talk about people whom I respect intellectually. Whenever I have cause to do so, I will promote or talk about something or someone I admire. If, for example, by mentioning the wonderful Sam Harris in a recent post, I learned that a few Awimbers had googled him and discovered his work, I would be absolutely delighted.
    I have binged him and bookmarked his blog.

Ok, so you can respect those who have achieved great things in philosophy and neuroscience. Less so ordinary folk, pehaps.

I have binged him and bookmarked his blog.

Ok, so you can respect those who have achieved great things in philosophy and neuroscience. Less so ordinary folk, pehaps.
    There are a number of "ordinary folk" who post on Awimb that I respect (and who I consider smarter than me) and have openly said so. So there's one data point to refute your claim.