Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Theresa May really going to spend the next six weeks repeating the terms 'strong

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    You can't disagree with misanthropy. It may simply be that my sensibilities are offended by stupidity more than yours.

I don't believe that you genuinely feel that most people are not stupid. We both engage in the real world every day and we will both have developed reliable techniques for discerning the levels of intelligence of people that we meet. Sometimes we will underestimate or overestimate, but generally our instincts will not be far off the mark.

It is blindingly obvious that most people do not place importance on the critical thinking required to be a truly intelligent person (beyond IQ and General Intelligence) and instead focus their attentions on other things, some of which are of great value both to themselves and others and some that are not.
    I will put it this way. As a general rule, the cleverest people I know tend to be the biggest ****s, the least fun to be around and the least likely to get their round in.

When it comes to voting the vast majority of people vote in their own self interest and even the stupid ones are generally able to work out what that is. Intelligence is not needed when it comes to voting. Or getting your round in.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    That view is almost as limited as your justifications for Wenger remaining as Arsenal manager next year. It takes only the smallest amount of analysis to rip that argument apart.
    What, you're going to try to prove that my vote alone is not inconsequential?

I know I should. But I'm just one person and my vote alone would be inconsequential, so my guilt is limited.
    Democracy's about far more than merely voting though. It's about responsibility.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    my secretary
    The 1970s called. They want their Professional Assistant back.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I will put it this way. As a general rule, the cleverest people I know tend to be the biggest ****s, the least fun to be around and the least likely to get their round in.

When it comes to voting the vast majority of people vote in their own self interest and even the stupid ones are generally able to work out what that is. Intelligence is not needed when it comes to voting. Or getting your round in.
    There's just different *kinds* of intelligence (and stupidity), not just the one.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

You can't disagree with misanthropy. It may simply be that my sensibilities are offended by stupidity more than yours.

I don't believe that you genuinely feel that most people are not stupid. We both engage in the real world every day and we will both have developed reliable techniques for discerning the levels of intelligence of people that we meet. Sometimes we will underestimate or overestimate, but generally our instincts will not be far off the mark.

It is blindingly obvious that most people do not place importance on the critical thinking required to be a truly intelligent person (beyond IQ and General Intelligence) and instead focus their attentions on other things, some of which are of great value both to themselves and others and some that are not.
    We're all stupid. Just stupid in different ways. Doesn't seem to be much point in getting all out of shape about it. When I meet and interact with people I don't try to identify how stupid they are, but in which ways they are intelligent or interesting or attractive. We just have very different priorities, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    The Americans have a word for this, which is 'smart'. Smart meets not getting your round in because you are cleverer than everyone else and have uniquely worked out that if you don't ever get a round in you get you keep all your money and can go on to enjoy wealth and status. This makes you smart.

See also many other ruthless examples of fiscal cùntery whereby screwing people over is something to aspire to because it shows how smart you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    We're all stupid. Just stupid in different ways. Doesn't seem to be much point in getting all out of shape about it. When I meet and interact with people I don't try to identify how stupid they are, but in which ways they are intelligent or interesting or attractive. We just have very different priorities, it seems.
    It sounds like our priorities are pretty much the same to me.

"We will both have developed reliable techniques for discerning the levels of intelligence of people that we meet."

"When I meet and interact with people I don't try to identify how stupid they are, but in which ways they are intelligent [...]"

I think M is on the make though, in a way you are not, so I guess he's more sensitive to these things, less willing to be so generous?

The Americans have a word for this, which is 'smart'. Smart meets not getting your round in because you are cleverer than everyone else and have uniquely worked out that if you don't ever get a round in you get you keep all your money and can go on to enjoy wealth and status. This makes you smart.

See also many other ruthless examples of fiscal cùntery whereby screwing people over is something to aspire to because it shows how smart you are.
    I'm not sure that's any less ethical than you "screwing over" the other blokes and blokesses who were interviewed along with you for your current job by using your superior skills, experience, etc.