Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Spurs. One second they're on the brink of redemptive glory, the next they face the

Spurs. One second they're on the brink of redemptive glory, the next they face the

realistic prospect of finally finishing above us being overshadowed by us winning the FA Cup.

Even their final game at the Lane against us will now be tainted by the "we're going to Wem-ber-ley" chants emanating from the away end.

And if we can make up some points on them in midweek (which you'd imagine is possible given the fixtures), it would start to look a little bit like squeaky bum time, even in terms of finishing above us.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    realistic prospect of finally finishing above us being overshadowed by us winning the FA Cup.

Even their final game at the Lane against us will now be tainted by the "we're going to Wem-ber-ley" chants emanating from the away end.

And if we can make up some points on them in midweek (which you'd imagine is possible given the fixtures), it would start to look a little bit like squeaky bum time, even in terms of finishing above us.
    Or they could be one point off top spot at 7pm on Sunday.

The last time you did this we were only a few wins in a row from being ahead of City, Liverpool and Tottenham. Do you remember how that turned out?

I'd suggest that you do not get carried away.
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    The last time you did this we were only a few wins in a row from being ahead of City, Liverpool and Tottenham. Do you remember how that turned out?
    I'm just sayin'. Things looked pretty ****ing horrific before Saturday. Now there is the realistic possibility of not only avoiding the very worst case scenario but actually winding up having a more successful season then them (trophy wise), and, albeit significantly less likely, perhaps even still somehow managing to finish above them.

It must be pretty devastating for them right now given how things looked before Saturday. In fact I spent the day with one of them yesterday and can vouch for this.

They genuinely do feel they are cursed as a club.

I'm just sayin'. Things looked pretty ****ing horrific before Saturday. Now there is the realistic possibility of not only avoiding the very worst case scenario but actually winding up having a more successful season then them (trophy wise), and, albeit significantly less likely, perhaps even still somehow managing to finish above them.

It must be pretty devastating for them right now given how things looked before Saturday. In fact I spent the day with one of them yesterday and can vouch for this.

They genuinely do feel they are cursed as a club.
    Hang on. They're four points off top spot and play Palace away in the week with us at home on the weekend while Chelsea are playing Everton (who've won eight in a row at Goodison) away on the weekend. There's more than a decent chance they'll be one point off top spot with 4 games left to play, a position i'm sure we'd all swap an FA cup final for.

According to Pochettino, Spurs are the biggest club in London.

Wenger out

"Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    Hang on. They're four points off top spot and play Palace away in the week with us at home on the weekend while Chelsea are playing Everton (who've won eight in a row at Goodison) away on the weekend. There's more than a decent chance they'll be one point off top spot with 4 games left to play, a position i'm sure we'd all swap an FA cup final for.
    I know all this. But I do think Saturday will have had a psychological impact, if not on the players then certainly the fans who know all too well the feeling of false hope. They would have been relatively confident about beating Chelsea given their form and would not have expected us to win our match either. And even if we had both won, it would have raised the delicious prospect of beating us in the final - perhaps Wenger's last game - and I know for a fact that this was an opportunity they were relishing (and that we were petrified of) given their form.

So I think the weekend's events *have*changed the complexion of things. I also think they are now worried that we could scupper their title chances by taking points off them next week - something that would not have particilarly occured to them while momentum was so heavily with them.

In short, I think the weekend could POSSIBLY act as a significant spanner in the works.

I know all this. But I do think Saturday will have had a psychological impact, if not on the players then certainly the fans who know all too well the feeling of false hope. They would have been relatively confident about beating Chelsea given their form and would not have expected us to win our match either. And even if we had both won, it would have raised the delicious prospect of beating us in the final - perhaps Wenger's last game - and I know for a fact that this was an opportunity they were relishing (and that we were petrified of) given their form.

So I think the weekend's events *have*changed the complexion of things. I also think they are now worried that we could scupper their title chances by taking points off them next week - something that would not have particilarly occured to them while momentum was so heavily with them.

In short, I think the weekend could POSSIBLY act as a significant spanner in the works.
    I think the result will (no pun intended) spur Chelsea on to the title as a defeat, having been so outplayed by United the previous weekend, could in theory have destabilised them.

I am not as sure it will affect Spurs in that they simply lost a game to a very good side, Pochetinno will I assume try to derive what positives he can from a performance that many seem to think should have given them victory. I only saw the first 45 so can’t really say, was surprised somewhat when I checked the score on my phone to discover them losing by 2.

Our victory, as impressive as it was, still had elements of fortune about it so will take more than one game to assure most supporters our future path is steady given our season to date.

Their fans will expect Chelsea to turn us over in the final and then their finishing second while we lose a cup final and fail to qualify for CL will be seen as a some kind of relative success or victory for them.