Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I remain unconvinced that our improvement had much to do with the formation change

I remain unconvinced that our improvement had much to do with the formation change

The midfield worked harder at closing down and keeping their shape defensively than at any point this season, and by some distance. Well done Arsenal midfield.

The question that has been rightly asked, and all supporters should ask more often, is why do we so rarely see this in our team? Athletico Madrid, as an example, play like this almost every game, so why can't we?

Amazing how much better CBs look when they don't get dragged out wide or have to step up into midfield and can spend the game clearing balls played into the box in which they are standing. See also, John Terry's entire career.

And to think some of you didn't want Spurs in the final. Precisely no question in my mind we would have beat that lot in the final. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    The midfield worked harder at closing down and keeping their shape defensively than at any point this season, and by some distance. Well done Arsenal midfield.

The question that has been rightly asked, and all supporters should ask more often, is why do we so rarely see this in our team? Athletico Madrid, as an example, play like this almost every game, so why can't we?

Amazing how much better CBs look when they don't get dragged out wide or have to step up into midfield and can spend the game clearing balls played into the box in which they are standing. See also, John Terry's entire career.

And to think some of you didn't want Spurs in the final. Precisely no question in my mind we would have beat that lot in the final. Oh well.
    We shouldn't want Spurs in the final as we don't want them to have a sniff of winning anything why would you want the chance of them beating us in an important game?
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Hard to say. We could beat them playing 4-3-3 or 3-4-2-1. What i would say is i think playing 3 at the back is better suited to how we play. Our full backs play like wing backs in the 4-3-3 so might as well have the extra CB in there instead. I hope he persists with it into next season. We've got a few good ball playing CBs who can step out into midfield and full backs suited to playing as wing backs.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    Hard to say. We could beat them playing 4-3-3 or 3-4-2-1. What i would say is i think playing 3 at the back is better suited to how we play. Our full backs play like wing backs in the 4-3-3 so might as well have the extra CB in there instead. I hope he persists with it into next season. We've got a few good ball playing CBs who can step out into midfield and full backs suited to playing as wing backs.
    I wholeheartedly agree - Hopefully we can get into the top 4 and bring in a couple of superstars in the summer. Perhaps we should keep Alexis as well. He looks happy at the moment

We play the way we do because we *want* to
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

The Schalke guy we are supposed to be signing is more suited to playing wing back as well

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    The Schalke guy we are supposed to be signing is more suited to playing wing back as well
    bloody wenger fooled us. I was trying to look all smart thinking saying we had adapted especially for middlesbrough.

Yeah i read that this season he's been excellent since they changed formation. It also seems to have turned Chamberlain into Cafu

"Multiple defensive positions" I thought they said. Which is a good way of putting it, I think.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Something about it resetting the mind-set of players too, perhaps. The formation alone doesn't explain how they were suddenly winning balls, 'snapping into tackles', as they say, and roughing opponents up.