Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A £70,000 salary defines you as rich?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    In neither circumstance are they rich. They still couldn't buy a **** house in an average area of London.
    though a moderate lifestyle with that sort of income would allow potential for some decent saving.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    I am very selfish about things.

That's why I never understood the outcry NHS spending and 'WHAT ABOUT THE NURSES?' probably as I am ignorant.

Surely you know what you are getting yourself into when you sign up
    One could make the same argument re the military but it would seem a little cold. I think the issues in the NHS tend to be about workload, hours and the strain on the system as much as about pay. I don't think most nurses appreciate how much will be asked of them when they go in.

though a moderate lifestyle with that sort of income would allow potential for some decent saving.
    True, but that hardly sounds like riches does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    One could make the same argument re the military but it would seem a little cold. I think the issues in the NHS tend to be about workload, hours and the strain on the system as much as about pay. I don't think most nurses appreciate how much will be asked of them when they go in.
    When I was at school, I am not sure if it's still the same these days but joining the Army was the choice you made if you messed up your exams. Or working in a garage.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Happiness, health, inner peace.
    Well said, SW. Sadly, far too many people nowadays have been conned into believing money, or indeed work, to be the be-all-and-end-all of everything.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Well said, SW. Sadly, far too many people nowadays have been conned into believing money, or indeed work, to be the be-all-and-end-all of everything.
    for me it's just that if you have a place to live that is paid off you are in a good position in life.
    That's where the main expense in life is.

for me it's just that if you have a place to live that is paid off you are in a good position in life.
    You are obsessed on the whole property thing, in fact on this basis you should really be Irish.

As a person that rented for close to 20 years and has owned for 13 I am still unsure which I prefer. There is obvious long-term benefits to ownership but there is 30 or more years of at times ******* aching expense to get there, and you could very well be dead by then.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    You are obsessed on the whole property thing, in fact on this basis you should really be Irish.

As a person that rented for close to 20 years and has owned for 13 I am still unsure which I prefer. There is obvious long-term benefits to ownership but there is 30 or more years of at times ******* aching expense to get there, and you could very well be dead by then.
    Unfortunately so. I have this urge to keep moving forward.
    Lots of changes have happened in the past 5-6 years, want to keep that going.

When I was at school, I am not sure if it's still the same these days but joining the Army was the choice you made if you messed up your exams. Or working in a garage.
    That was always #fakenews, to satisfy anti-war types. The forces has always been an excellent career choice; doctors, lawyers, management; there's allsorts in there.

I suppose it wasn't all that long ago people used to similarly sneer at professional footballers; too thick to get a proper job. But I don't think anyone's laughing at the Jack Wilsheres and Raheem Sterlings now, are they, with their millions.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

Only if there's children. It makes no difference either way otherwise.