Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The usual suspects signalling their virtue hard on facebook :hehe:

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I mean that Labour had spent nearly 20 years getting itself into electable shape for what its leaders believed was best for the country and then spent much of its time in power ruthlessly enforcing internal party discipline in order to stay there - because they believed that was what was best for the country.

In other words, parties act in their best interests because (we must assume) they sincerely believe that is how they best serve the interests of the country.
    Its merely how you win an election and how you govern. I'm not sure you can read too much more into that. Or what May is doing.

My only point is that the interests of party and country should not be considered to be the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I do struggle with the idea that a politician seeking maximum advantage for her party by calling an election with the permission of Parliament is somehow considered to be cheating. It smacks of 'You can't call an election because we'll lose horribly and that's not fair!'
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    I like the talk that Labour have now sunk so low under Corbyn that they're considered something of a protest vote in this election
    The point surely is that the silly coalition fixed term act means that the decision is de facto in Compo's hands. So if anyone should be getting the blame, it's my party leader. As usual.

Still, hopefully this will kill his movement and we can elect that nice Chuka chap in his place. Sensible voice, sensible suit, sensible policies. Heaven. Once we get him as leader, power will only be ten years away.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    The guvmint used to be able to call one when they wanted, but since 2011 they need a two thirds majority in parliament, I think.
    Just don't Beerxit, ya dumb englishers. I have deep thirst.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Typical bird really - changing her mind all the time. Quite why she vehemently denied she was going to do it so many times is the mystery.
    As you say, typical bird; they *do* move in mysterious ways their wonders to perform. Anyway, there's no real harm in a dull, stolid crone springing the odd surprise or two. You know, just to keep the thing interesting.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."