Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Only two more months of Jeremy Corbyn :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    The problem is that many of those Blairists will have lost their seats and thus leave the left in total control of the Party. At which point, I'd have thought a split would be inevitable.
    The Party has faced this repeatedly over the years. The response is always to run back to the centre ground.

Whoever takes over is basically facing the Kinnock years.... structural change that destroys your own leadership but starts the work for the next guy.

Well few if any of them will vote for a Corbyn-led Labour party - despite many being traditional Labour voters.

The fact is that, whatever else happens, Labour is almightily fùcked.
    Very tough election to predict in terms of behaviour and spread. Obviously the outcome (a Conservative landslide) is easier to predict.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    Most polls show a 20% lead. Now while polls haven't been completely accurate of late they're not that inaccurate.
    Wait until Corbyn starts campaigning. That 20% lead will be extended in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    The Party has faced this repeatedly over the years. The response is always to run back to the centre ground.

Whoever takes over is basically facing the Kinnock years.... structural change that destroys your own leadership but starts the work for the next guy.
    Does that not assume that Corbyn and the left will definitely step aside? Could you not end up with them dog-in-the-mangering? They know they'll never get another chance to control the Labour Party (and that, it would appear, is what matters most to them) - I wonder if they'll let it go that easily?

Does that not assume that Corbyn and the left will definitely step aside? Could you not end up with them dog-in-the-mangering? They know they'll never get another chance to control the Labour Party (and that, it would appear, is what matters most to them) - I wonder if they'll let it go that easily?
    Not easily, but a catastrophic election result does wonders for a party rethink. Corbyn's position will be completely untenable. The first thing to go has to be the ridiculous system for electing the leader. All this has to happen but the election will bring it fward

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Not easily, but a catastrophic election result does wonders for a party rethink. Corbyn's position will be completely untenable. The first thing to go has to be the ridiculous system for electing the leader. All this has to happen but the election will bring it fward
    But Corbyn's position has been pretty much untenable for over a year now. And he's still leader because there are enough lunatics out there who are Labour members who'll keep him in place. I have a distinct feeling that merely leading Labour into its most catastrophic election defeat since 1935 won't be enough to stop them voting for him. They'll believe that this sort of 'purge' will be a good thing.

Never underestimate just what raving fûcking madmen these people are, p.

But Corbyn's position has been pretty much untenable for over a year now. And he's still leader because there are enough lunatics out there who are Labour members who'll keep him in place. I have a distinct feeling that merely leading Labour into its most catastrophic election defeat since 1935 won't be enough to stop them voting for him. They'll believe that this sort of 'purge' will be a good thing.

Never underestimate just what raving fûcking madmen these people are, p.
    They also get bored very easily and very quickly. I am not saying it will happen overnight but an early election will hasten the process. There is pretty much no party organisation on the ground in around 50% of the country and none of those people are coming back until that tosser is gone. This will be the first election in 40 years that my mum hasn't been part of.