Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: How was your weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Were you humming this as you went?

They'll fight and don't surrender
    But come when duty calls,
    With heart and hand and sword and shield
    We'll guard old Derry's Walls.
    Haha I had it in my head, yes. I watched a documentary on the Siege not that long ago. Knowing the song helps to remember the history of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Norn Iron View Post
    Yes, Derry City Council exists there :wink: . I should have called it the 'Maiden City'.

The tour guide actually started off with the naming of the City and the arguments it causes. Basically said you can call it what you want & nobody gives a sh_it. During the City of Culture year it was called 'LegenDerry'. It's funny because on the drive over all most of the road signs have the London part spray painted over. Mad place.
    When I used to work for the Times, our style was to say Londonderry, except in specific situations when it was more sensitive to use Derry for stories in Nationalists/Catholics. Good to see McGuinness's funeral plastered over the front page with Londonderry as the setting

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Where did you stay in Hong Kong, a? I've got a trip there lined up for later in the year.
    We stayed near the University also near Kennedy Town which is the Hipster part of Honk Kong island. The hotel was Hotel Jen (we got a deal with BA) quite reasonable pricewise and considered a good hotel
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Balsam Rodriguez View Post
    We stayed near the University also near Kennedy Town which is the Hipster part of Honk Kong island. The hotel was Hotel Jen (we got a deal with BA) quite reasonable pricewise and considered a good hotel
    ty a, I'll bear it in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    When I used to work for the Times, our style was to say Londonderry, except in specific situations when it was more sensitive to use Derry for stories in Nationalists/Catholics. Good to see McGuinness's funeral plastered over the front page with Londonderry as the setting
    Aye it's the same with the reporting here. I would call it Derry the odd time depending on who I'm trying not to offend. Referring to Northern Ireland as 'The North' seems to becoming more prevalent in the media. Although, I would never refer to Northern Ireland as 'The North' as that's complete b_ollocks.

All that aside Northern Ireland has come a long way. Great country, steeped in history & peaceful. Some trivial issues shouldn't detract from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Samuel Pepys buried his Parmesan cheese in his garden to keep it safe from the Great Fire of London. Perhaps you buried yours in the back garden?
    Speaking of which, I just remembered I have a quarter of Morbier ageing in the garage, been about a month now

Oh, and marinated ribeye on the barbecue Saturday, The Pig in the New Forest Sunday and a new telly being delivered today. Now that is an ace weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Balsam Rodriguez View Post
    Friday night was our 10th wedding anniversary. We were in Hong Kong for the week. Came back overnight Sunday morning and landed at 5:30am.
    Going away for an anniversary sounds wonderful. Hong Kong is wonderful.

Combining them? I'm not so sure. Pretty certain the odds of a couple going there as a couple and coming back single are not small.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    ty a, I'll bear it in mind.
    No you won't, you'll stay at the Mandarin Oriental and you know it

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    No you won't, you'll stay at the Mandarin Oriental and you know it
    Well, yes, I suppose I will. I just want to show willing and check other options first.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Going away for an anniversary sounds wonderful. Hong Kong is wonderful.

Combining them? I'm not so sure. Pretty certain the odds of a couple going there as a couple and coming back single are not small.

WES, the bookies would have giving you any odds you want that happening

What was the basis of that enquiry. Why is Hong Kong singled out for such reservations around relationship status?
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman