Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've been watching I'm Alan Partridge. The Linton Travel Tavern series.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I've been watching I'm Alan Partridge. The Linton Travel Tavern series.

Apart from the fact that it's 20 years old (20 years!) what strikes me is how very, very funny it still is.

wd the repulsive luvvie steve coogan.

The chocolate mousse bit.

Have any 20 year old comedy series tickled your fancy recently?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Apart from the fact that it's 20 years old (20 years!) what strikes me is how very, very funny it still is.

I was just watching that too as I found it on netflix. though I have the dvd's somewhere.

I didn't like it at the time for some reason. latecomer

It's absurdly good. And, more remarkably, it bears repeated viewings. It often irritates me how much credit Ricky Gervais gets for The Office, despite the fact that it was in so many ways a substandard rip-off of Partridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    It's absurdly good. And, more remarkably, it bears repeated viewings. It often irritates me how much credit Ricky Gervais gets for The Office, despite the fact that it was in so many ways a substandard rip-off of Partridge.
    I found The Trip most interesting for revealing that Rob Brydon is quite a lot funnier than Steve Coogan.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    I found The Trip most interesting for revealing that Rob Brydon is quite a lot funnier than Steve Coogan.
    Err...you realise they were working to a script, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Err...you realise they were working to a script, right?
    No, I've seen both explicitly state that it's improvised, albeit in a 'structured' way. So yes, they do adopt personas but there's enough creative license for both to be as funny as they can muster.

No, I've seen both explicitly state that it's improvised, albeit in a 'structured' way. So yes, they do adopt personas but there's enough creative license for both to be as funny as they can muster.
    Of course. Improvisation doesn't mean there isn't a script, though. The characters are delineated to behave in certain ways and be more or less 'funny' than one another.

That was the point. Coogan's character was a bit pompous as well as a bit troubled, whilst Brydon's was happy to be an uncomplicated entertainer.

That was the point. Coogan's character was a bit pompous as well as a bit troubled, whilst Brydon's was happy to be an uncomplicated entertainer.
    Which they sort-of switched over a bit in the second series.

Trip: Spain starts tonight, isn't it? Doesn't it?