Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hang abouts! If we win our two games in hand on Liverpool we're back in the top four

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    No, our expectations are to have a manager as reliably good as Mourinho, Klopp or Guardiola.

Oh.
    I'm referring to the fact that you appear to be crowing about the possibility of us - maybe, if everything goes to plan - scraping into the top four. That's not a good look.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    "cruel and oppressive government or rule."

Seems a little extreme.
    What could be more cruel and oppressive than the acceptance that one may only aspire to mediocrity?

"cruel and oppressive government or rule."

Seems a little extreme.
    Yes, on balance, I'd prefer to be a soft bigot.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I believe that is known as the tyranny of low expectations.
    As opposed to having to do Dickens for A level which is presumably the tyranny of Great Expectations

What could be more cruel and oppressive than the acceptance that one may only aspire to mediocrity?
    I thought we were talking about football, though. There's nothing cruel or oppressive about football. It is a leisure activity.

This current appetite for wailing, gnashing hyperbole is reducing all discussion to, well, nonsense.

Hardly anybody thinks of it that way though, as for 99% of the planet, throughout history, achieving mediocrity represents a triumph.

And I don't mean that old two-seater Stag chunk of scrap my old man loves so much.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    As opposed to having to do Dickens for A level which is presumably the tyranny of Great Expectations
    Very good. And Squadron certainly enjoyed a Christmas Carroll last night. Anyway, he had him trussed and bound like a turkey.

I thought we were talking about football, though. There's nothing cruel or oppressive about football. It is a leisure activity.

This current appetite for wailing, gnashing hyperbole is reducing all discussion to, well, nonsense.
    No, sticks and stones and a' that. It's just words and pictures, innit.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    No, our expectations are to have a manager as reliably good as Mourinho, Klopp or Guardiola.

Oh.
    No, I think our expectations are to have a manager who will leverage the financial power of the club, and any other means at his disposal, in order to try and win trophies.

The view of many, for very good reasons imo, is that Arsene Wenger is no longer such a manager.

Who is wailing or hyperbolising? I'm well aware it's just football, but am equally aware that clinging to a vague hope of scraping into the top four at this stage of the season represents failure by the standards that Arsenal Football Club and Arsene Wenger have defined for themselves and thus is nowt for Monty to be getting a chubby about.